Why is inductive reactive power always represented at 90 degrees?

In summary, the power dissipated by an inductor will always be purely reactive and represented at 90 degrees.
Number2Pencil
My professor made this statement: "the power dissipated by an inductor will always be purely reactive and represented at 90 degrees" (we label real power as a phasor at 0 degrees, inductive reactive power at 90 degrees and capacitive at -90)

Why is this?

I made a little example with a series circuit with a 20V<0 source, Rt = 310 ohms, ZL = j300 ohms, and ZC = -j50 ohms. I calculated the source current as 50.22mA<38.88 degrees. Now QL (reactive power) = I^2*ZL which gives 756.6mW<12.23. Now how come I can drop the angle off the answer? Is it because it will be purely reactive no matter what angle it's located, so you can just represent it at 90 degrees? I'm so confused.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have a phase shift due the resistor. If you apply the source straight to the coil or a capacitor what will you get?

I'm used to seeing complex power as

[tex] P_{complex} = VI^{\ast} [/tex]

Where V and I are phasors, and the asterisk is the complex conjugate. For your load with impedance Z, this becomes

[tex] P_{complex} = |I|^2 Z^{\ast} = |I|^2 ( R - jX) [/tex]

For a purely reactive load, R = 0, so the power is purely imaginary and thus purely reactive.

Last edited:
By the way, "dissipation" is usually reserved for power lost as heat or friction, so reactive power wouldn't be called dissipation.

I think I understand now. If I take the overall power and put it in the complex format, this phasor is really "S" or apparent power, which is just a combination of the reative and real power.

Number2Pencil said:
I made a little example with a series circuit with a 20V<0 source, Rt = 310 ohms, ZL = j300 ohms, and ZC = -j50 ohms. I calculated the source current as 50.22mA<38.88 degrees. Now QL (reactive power) = I^2*ZL which gives 756.6mW<12.23. Now how come I can drop the angle off the answer? Is it because it will be purely reactive no matter what angle it's located, so you can just represent it at 90 degrees? I'm so confused.

How did you get QL = 756.6mW<12.23? In QL = I^2*ZL, note that I^2 is the square of the magnitude of I, or more aptly put as |I|^2, so arg(|I|^2*ZL) = 90 for the inductor.

ok well, being |I|^2 instead of I^2 does solve my problem. I guess that's kind of what I was getting at with my whole "it's that much power no matter what angle it's at" random belch of an idea

What is reactive power?

Reactive power is the component of power that oscillates back and forth between the source and load in an alternating current (AC) system. It is necessary for the operation of inductive and capacitive loads, but does not contribute to the actual work being done.

How is reactive power measured?

Reactive power is measured in units of volt-amperes reactive (VAR). This is different from active power, which is measured in units of watts (W). Reactive power is also represented by the symbol Q.

Why is reactive power important?

Reactive power is important for maintaining the stability and efficiency of the power grid. It helps to balance the flow of energy between the source and load, and can also improve voltage regulation and reduce line losses.

What causes reactive power?

Reactive power is caused by the presence of inductive and capacitive elements in a circuit. Inductive elements, such as motors and transformers, create a lagging reactive power, while capacitive elements, such as capacitors, create a leading reactive power.

How can reactive power be managed or corrected?

Reactive power can be managed by using devices such as capacitors, inductors, and static var compensators. These devices can help to balance the reactive power in a system and reduce the overall demand for it. Reactive power can also be corrected by improving power factor, which is the ratio of active power to apparent power.