Are the Spaceships' Worldlines Straight in Relativity?

• Thread starter MeJennifer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, a space station A traveling on a straight worldline has four smaller spaceships, B, D, E, and F, leaving in different directions at the same time and increasing their distances from the space station. The chief scientist discusses with juniors about the possibility of the spaceships following completely straight worldlines, which depends on the metric rather than the coordinate system. The use of geodesic or straight worldline has the same meaning in this scenario.
MeJennifer
Consider a space station A traveling on a straight worldline.
Four smaller spaceships, B, D, E and F, leave this spaceship by igniting their rockets in a north, south, east and west direction at the same time. And by looking out of the observatory deck one can clearly see that all four spaceships increase their distances between the space station in different directions.

The chief scientist on the space station has a discussion with juniors about space-time and claims that it is possible that the spaceships B, D, E and F have a completely straight wordline from the moment they took off.
Is he right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MeJennifer said:
Consider a space station A traveling on a straight worldline.
Four smaller spaceships, B, D, E and F, leave this spaceship by igniting their rockets in a north, south, east and west direction at the same time. And by looking out of the observatory deck one can clearly see that all four spaceships increase their distances between the space station in different directions.

The chief scientist on the space station has a discussion with juniors about space-time and claims that it is possible that the spaceships B, D, E and F have a completely straight wordline from the moment they took off.
Is he right?
Are you asking about general relativity or special relativity? Like I said on the other thread, my understanding is that diffeomorphism invariance in GR means that any smooth coordinate system is equally good, and for any given worldline you can find a coordinate system where that worldline is "straight" (i.e. its coordinate position doesn't change with coordinate time).

JesseM said:
Are you asking about general relativity or special relativity? Like I said on the other thread, my understanding is that diffeomorphism invariance in GR means that any smooth coordinate system is equally good, and for any given worldline you can find a coordinate system where that worldline is "straight" (i.e. its coordinate position doesn't change with coordinate time).
I am asking about reality.

MeJennifer said:
I am asking about reality.
No you aren't, because curved vs. noncurved is not a coordinate-independent question, and only coordinate-independent statements are considered to be objective statements about "reality" in physics.

I would generally interpret "straight worldline" as "following a geodesic in space-time".

If the space-ships are accelerating because they are thrusting with their rockets, they aren't following a geodesic.

I would interpret / describe the scenario by saying that the spaceships, which are accelerating by firing their rocket engines, are not following a geodesic, while the space-station, which is not firing any rockets, is following a geodesic.

If the spaceships cut their thrust after having acquired some velocity relative to the space-station, they will then be following a geodesic, because they are not being acted on by any external force.

If there is some other intent to the question, please clarify it.

pervect said:
I would generally interpret "straight worldline" as "following a geodesic in space-time".
Ah, I didn't think of that interpretation. OK then, there is a clear-cut answer to whether something is following a geodesic or not, because this depends on the metric rather than the coordinate system. But a coordinate system where a geodesic is a straight line in terms of coordinate position vs. coordinate time is not privileged over one where it is not (and many commonly-used coordinate systems wouldn't have this property, like Schwarzschild coordinates where an orbiting object would not be moving in a straight coordinate line).

JesseM said:
Ah, I didn't think of that interpretation. OK then, there is a clear-cut answer to whether something is following a geodesic or not, because this depends on the metric rather than the coordinate system. But a coordinate system where a geodesic is a straight line in terms of coordinate position vs. coordinate time is not privileged over one where it is not (and many commonly-used coordinate systems wouldn't have this property, like Schwarzschild coordinates where an orbiting object would not be moving in a straight coordinate line).
Ok then, replace everywere "geodesic" for "straight worldline" if you think it makes a difference. :confused:

MeJennifer said:
Ok then, replace everywere "geodesic" for "straight worldline" if you think it makes a difference. :confused:
Yes, in that case I was agreeing with pervect's answer.

What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory, developed by Albert Einstein, that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in any inertial frame of reference, meaning that the laws of physics are the same for anyone moving at a constant velocity.

What is the difference between general relativity and special relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in relation to objects moving at a constant velocity, while general relativity extends this to include the effects of gravity on the laws of physics.

How does relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a framework for understanding the behavior of objects in space and time. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS and gravitational wave detectors.

What are some practical applications of relativity?

Some practical applications of relativity include GPS technology, which uses precise timing of signals based on relativity to determine location, and nuclear energy, which relies on the principles of relativity to release energy through nuclear reactions.

Is relativity proven to be true?

Relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to be accurate in explaining various phenomena, such as the orbit of Mercury and the bending of light by massive objects. However, there are still ongoing research and experiments to further test and refine the theory.