Question about resonance energy

In summary, the question is asking for the resonance energy for CO2. The enthalpy of formation for CO2 is -393 kJ/mol, and the difference between the enthalpy of combustion and the enthalpy of formation is -913 kJ/mol.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question says that:
Calculate the resonance energy for CO2 from the following
ΔH(C=O)=339 kJ/mol
ΔH(O=O)=498kJ/mol
ΔH(C(s)→C(g))=718kJ/mol
ΔHcombustion
(carbon)=-393kJ/mol.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely unable to understand how will we make an equation using hess' law including this resonance energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question says that:
Calculate the resonance energy for CO2 from the following
ΔH(C=O)=339 kJ/mol
ΔH(O=O)=498kJ/mol
ΔH(C(s)→C(g))=718kJ/mol
ΔHcombustion
(carbon)=-393kJ/mol.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely unable to understand how will we make an equation using hess' law including this resonance energy.

Try drawing an energy diagram, using the enthalpies. You have a number of different kinds of enthalpies here. The first two are bond dissociation enthalpies:

C=O ----> C (g) + O (g)

The gistof the problem is to compare the energies using bond dissociation enthalpies (approximate) and the heat of combustion of C (g) (exact). The former, does not take into account the delocalization of electrons over the entire CO2 frame, while the latter does.

Likes mooncrater
Hmmm...so after reading your post what I did is:
Consider two paths to produce CO2:
C(S)→C(g) which can be converted into CO2 by the following two methods(what I made out):
  1. C(g)→CO2[combustion]
  2. C(g)+O2→CO2
And the resonance energy should be the difference of the enthalpy of formation of CO2...
So heat of combustion given is -393 kJ/mol + heat of sublimation ----(for 1st path)=325 kJ/mol
And for the second part:
BDE (O=O)-2BDE(C=O)+ Heat of sublimation.=538 kJ/mol
And their difference=-213 kJ /mol
But the answer given is -913 kJ/mol.
So where am I wrong?

mooncrater said:
Hmmm...so after reading your post what I did is:
Consider two paths to produce CO2:
C(S)→C(g) which can be converted into CO2 by the following two methods(what I made out):
  1. C(g)→CO2[combustion]
  2. C(g)+O2→CO2
And the resonance energy should be the difference of the enthalpy of formation of CO2...
So heat of combustion given is -393 kJ/mol + heat of sublimation ----(for 1st path)=325 kJ/mol
And for the second part:
BDE (O=O)-2BDE(C=O)+ Heat of sublimation.=538 kJ/mol
And their difference=-213 kJ /mol
But the answer given is -913 kJ/mol.
So where am I wrong?

Here are the steps that I would use in making the ladder of enthalpies:

C(s) [+ O2 (g) ] --> C (g) [ + O2 (g) ]
O=O (g) --> 2 O (g) (Use bond enthalpy O=O)
C(s) + O2 (g) --> CO2 (g)
CO2 (g) --> C (g) + 2 O (g) (2 x bond enthalpy C=O)

The number you have for C=O is way too small (it is the value for a C-O single bond) it should be closer to 732 kJ/mol http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/4678/4790506/ch07_02.htm

Create a ladder of species on an enthalpy scale. Compare the enthalpies for C(s) + O2 (g) --> CO2 (g) from the enthalpy of combustion with the enthalpy using the heat of subblimation and the bond enthalpies.

CO + 1/2 O2 → CO2
So I think resonance energy of CO2 should be bond dissociation energy of CO + 1/2 bond dissociation energy of O2 ?
I may be wrong here, but what wrong I am doing?

Raghav Gupta said:
CO + 1/2 O2 → CO2
So I think resonance energy of CO2 should be bond dissociation energy of CO + 1/2 bond dissociation energy of O2 ?
I may be wrong here, but what wrong I am doing?

The "resonance energy" is a bit of a misnomer in the case of CO2. Sure, you have resonance structures with different kinds of mulitple bonds
(triple-single <--> double-double <--> single-triple), but most of the energy lowering is due to the fact that the pi electrons are in orbitals delocalized over the entire molecule, which is not there if you think only about the Lewis stuctures -- where you would draw two p-pi bonds in planes at right angles to each other.

So what is that energy that I am talking in post 5?

What is resonance energy?

Resonance energy is the energy released or absorbed when a molecule or atom undergoes resonance, which is the shifting of electrons between different possible configurations within the molecule or atom.

How is resonance energy calculated?

Resonance energy is calculated by determining the difference in energy between the most stable resonance structure and the average of all possible resonance structures.

What is the significance of resonance energy?

Resonance energy is important for understanding the stability and reactivity of molecules and atoms. It can also explain the unique properties and behaviors of certain chemical compounds.

Can resonance energy be measured experimentally?

Yes, resonance energy can be measured experimentally by using techniques such as photoelectron spectroscopy or nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.

How does resonance energy affect bond strength?

Resonance energy can increase the stability of a molecule, thus making its bonds stronger. This is because resonance allows for the delocalization of electrons, which can distribute the electron density more evenly, making the molecule more stable.