Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about Resultant Forces

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    s7rMLoN.png

Alright, so after looking at this video to do it

I did the following.

F1(65N) = 65cos(30)i+65sin30i

Then using the radian circle I saw that 30* has x,y coordinates of sqrt3/2 and 1/2 respectively. So as shown in the video I did

65(root3/2)i+65(1/2)j

= 56.3i + 32.5j

I did this for the left one too (30N).

But for the one at the bottom (20N) I get the degree of it to be 250. (270-20) = 250.

250* is not on the radian circle so how can I write 250* in terms of x,y coordinates?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Pablo, :welcome:

Please post in the homework forum (and make good use of the template there!)

180-20 = 250 seems strange to me. But 270 - 20 - 250 and that's the right angle. Why do you say it's not on the radian circle ? Does that go from ##-\pi## to ##+ \pi## ? If so, how far from 0 to 270 when starting at 0 ?

4. Oct 24, 2016 #3
    Oh ya I wrote it wrong, I meant to write 270-20 = 250.
    circle-unit-304560.gif

But if we look at this radian circle. We see that 240* = (-1/2, -sqrt3/2) and then it goes to 270* = (0,-1). How can I find the x,y coordinates for 250* and use it in the equation?

And sorry about posting in the wrong section, I'll fix it next time. Do I need to repost this to the homework section or is it fine?

5. Oct 24, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see. 250 degrees isn't in the list. Calculators (or spreadsheets) not allowed ? You need ##\ \cos 250^\circ\ ## and ##\ \sin 250^\circ##

Thread will be moved by a moderator, don't worry.

6. Oct 24, 2016 #5
    Oh my bad I posted it over there already. I 'll see if I can delete it.

Ya we can use calculators but maybe Im doing it wrong. Should it be in degrees or radians?

Ooh, I can just do it on my calculator? I assumed you'd have to use the radian circle. Well... I feel dumb. Thanks a lot though :)

And I already posted it to the homework section again but I'll post that it's been solved. Thanks again.

7. Oct 24, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When in radians mode your angle is ##250^\circ \displaystyle {\pi\over 180^\circ}##

-- lots of people blindly type in an angle in the wrong mode and end up with nonsense (and marks lost), so be warned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted