Question about rotational motion and another about man on a beam

In summary: T(3.1) = 0 T = ? Note: it is important to note the direction of each force. The man is in the opposite direction of the rope which is why it is negative.So I solved for T and got 30.1. Is that the correct answer?In summary, the fourth object of 8 kg should be placed at (-1.5, -1.5) m in order to balance the center of gravity of the four-object arrangement at (0.0, 0.0) m. For the window washer standing 2.1 m from one end on a scaffold supported by
imnotsmart
:mad: #1. Consider the following mass distribution where the xy coordinates are given in meters: 5 kg at (0.0, 0.0) m, 3 kg at (0.0, 4.0) m, and 4 kg at (3.0, 0.0) m. Where should a fourth object of 8 kg be placed so the center of gravity of the four-object arrangement will be at (0.0, 0.0) m?
I know that it has to be in the bottom left of the xy coordinate just didnt really know how to start the problem.

#2. A window washer is standing on a scaffold supported by a vertical rope at each end. The scaffold weighs 200 N and the scaffold is 3.1 m long. What is the tension in each rope when the 710 N worker stands 2.1 meters from one end?
Smaller tension and larger one?
I know you have the find the summation of the y forces and then the summation of the torque but I don't know whether to subtract 200 and 710. I just need some direction. Don't need an answer.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
#1: You can ignore the 5kg on teh center, since this is your center of gravity, any mass on it does not affect the center of gravity of the system.

You have 3kg 4m to the right, and 4kg 3m to the right. You want to place an 8kg object at a distance x so that the CM = (0,0).

You can solve this with a torque system. Each object exerts a torque around the center of mass (origin):

[tex] m_1x_1 + m_2x_2 + m_3x_3 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] m_1 = 4kg, m_2 = 3kg, m_3 = 8kg, x_1 = 4m, x_2 = 3m, x_3 = ? [/tex]

[tex] (4)(3)+(3)(4)+(8)(x) = 0 [/tex]

Solving this for x will get you an appropriate distance for the third mass.

imnotsmart said:
#2. A window washer is standing on a scaffold supported by a vertical rope at each end. The scaffold weighs 200 N and the scaffold is 3.1 m long. What is the tension in each rope when the 710 N worker stands 2.1 meters from one end?
Smaller tension and larger one?
I know you have the find the summation of the y forces and then the summation of the torque but I don't know whether to subtract 200 and 710. I just need some direction. Don't need an answer.
Any help would be appreciated.

The 200N force and 710N force are both in the same direction.

So is this (0, -3) or (-3, 0).
So it is 910 N for the direction downward. Where does the man standing 2.1 m from one side come into effect. This problem is really messing with me.

My bad on #1, I didnt realize they were on separate axes, I'll work on that in a sec.

You know the upward torque is the same as the downward torque, if the man was in the center, then he would apply the same torque on each rope. If he is off center, one rope experiences more torque than the other.

Yeah I understand that. I just didnt really know how to get the summation of the y forces. I think I multiply 710 by 1.1 and 200 by 1.55. Is this right? I'm really lost on this problem.

System in equilibrium:

[tex] m_nx_n = 0 [/tex]

Object one exerts a torque in the y direction of magnitude (3kg)(4m) = 12kgm.
Object two exerts a torque in the x direction of magnitude 12kgm.
You want to place object 3 at a point where it will cancel all the torque in the x direction and y direction.

Object 3's torque msut then be :

[tex] \tau_x = -12kgm [/tex]

[tex] \tau_y = -12kgm [/tex]

Using [tex] \tau = mx [/tex], and m = 8kg, find an x that satisfies the above requirement.

imnotsmart said:
Yeah I understand that. I just didnt really know how to get the summation of the y forces. I think I multiply 710 by 1.1 and 200 by 1.55. Is this right? I'm really lost on this problem.

Where did you get 1.1 and 1.55?

Is (-1.5, -1.5) anywhere in the range?

I thought that you would take half of the beam and then how far the man is from one side 2.1-1. I am really lost on this problem. I have tried now for 3 days and can't figure it out.

You tell me. Are the torques in each direction cancelled?

Well I divided -12 by 8 and got 1.5. It seems like they should be farther out than that. We did this experiment in lab but that was around 2 weeks ago. We put different masses at different places and figured out the center of gravity.

SHould i multiply -12 by 8? That number seems like it would be way too big.

Last edited:
[tex] \tau_x = m_1x_1 + m_3x_3 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \tau_x = (3)(4) + (8)(x) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \tau_y = m_2y_2 + m_3y_3 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \tau_x = (3)(4) + (8)(y) = 0 [/tex]

12+8x=0
-12=8x
x=-1.5, -1.5
correct?

I guess you are done with me. Thanks for your help though.

Yeah, for some reason I thought 3x4=24 and was expecting [-3,-3].

Now for the ropes.

[tex] \sum \tau = 0 [/tex], and [tex] \sum Force = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \tau_{left} = -\tau_{right} [/tex], and [tex] F_{down} (910) = -F_{up} [/tex]

On the left rope:

[tex] \tau = F_{man}x_{left} + F_{scaffold}{x_cm} - F_{right}x_{right}[/tex] You can calculate this. The center of mass is the point equidistant from both ropes since the scaffold is uniform. The force of the right rope is the only force stopping the rotation. It is in the opposite direction which is why it is negative.

Solving that equation and using what you know about the total upward force, try to find the tension in each rope.

So the equation should be 710N(1m)+200N(2.1m)-?

[tex] \tau = F_{man}x_{left} + F_{scaffold}{x_{cm}} - F_{right}x_{right}[/tex]

The center of mass would be at 3.1/2 = 1.55m.
If you want the man to stand at the left end then that's fine, its a matter of choosing one and sticking to it.

Knowing the total torque is 0,

[tex] 0 = F_{man}x_{left} + F_{scaffold}{x_{cm}} - F_{right}x_{right}[/tex]

[tex] 0 = (710N)(1)+(200N)(1.55m)-(F_{right})(3.1} [/tex]

Solve that for F right. Remember the total upward force is equal to the downward force, and that the upward force is F right + F left

Alright, so the smaller force is 329 N. How do I go about finding the larger one?

[tex] F_{right} + F_{left} = F_{up} = -F_{down} [/tex]

Please read more carefully :)

So it is 329+ Fleft=-910? and that would give me...581?

Yeah I got it...thanks man for all your help...I really appreciate it...Have an awesome day.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or fixed point. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as a spinning top or a planet orbiting the sun.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves an object rotating or spinning around a fixed point, while linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object's velocity and acceleration vectors are constantly changing direction, while in linear motion they remain constant.

3. What is the difference between torque and force in rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, while force is a measure of the push or pull on an object. In rotational motion, torque is responsible for causing an object to rotate around an axis, while force is responsible for causing an object to move in a straight line.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational motion?

The distribution of mass in an object can greatly affect its rotational motion. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia, making it more difficult to change their rotational motion. This is why it is easier to spin a thin rod than a thick rod with the same mass.

5. Can you explain the concept of a "man on a beam" in terms of rotational motion?

The concept of a "man on a beam" is often used to demonstrate the principle of rotational equilibrium. It involves a person standing on a narrow beam, trying to maintain balance by shifting their weight and adjusting their position. This demonstrates how torque and the distribution of weight can affect rotational motion and equilibrium.