Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about schroedinger equation

1. Jun 8, 2004 #1
    pliz help me how to solve the schroedinger equation from the time dependent to become the time independent?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2004 #2
    You'll have to excuse any Latex errors I haven't quite worked out what Tex this board uses yet. anyway:
    [tex]
    $$
    \frac{{ - \hbar ^2 }}
    {{2m}}\frac{{\partial ^2 \Psi (x,t)}}
    {{\partial x^2 }} + V(x)\Psi (x,t) = i\hbar \frac{{\partial \Psi (x,t)}}
    {{\delta t}}
    $$

\]

[/tex]

Assume seperable:
    [tex]$\Psi (x,t) = \psi (x)\phi (t)$
    [/tex]
    Substitute:
    [tex]$$
    $$
    \frac{{ - \hbar ^2 }}
    {{2m}}\frac{{\partial ^2 \psi (x)\phi (t)}}
    {{\partial x^2 }} + V(x)\Psi (x,t) = i\hbar \frac{{\partial \psi (x)\phi (t)}}
    {{\delta t}}
    $$

[/tex]
    Take terms out of x derivate that are t-dependant, and vice-versa - also divide by [tex]$\psi (x)\phi (t)$
    [/tex]:
    [tex]$$
    {{ - \hbar ^2 } \over {2m}}{1 \over {\psi (x)}}{{\partial ^2 \psi (x)} \over {\partial x^2 }} + V(x) = i\hbar {1 \over {\phi (t)}}{{\partial \phi (t)} \over {\delta t}}
    $$
    [/tex]

Set each side equal to a costant:
    [tex]$$
    \hbar i{1 \over {\phi (t)}}{{d\phi (t)} \over {dt}} = E
    $$
    [/tex]
    This yields:
    [tex]$$
    \phi = Ae^{ - i\omega t}
    $$
    [/tex]
    The other equation, becomes (upon rearranging):
    [tex]$\frac{{ - \hbar ^2 }}
    {{2m}}\frac{{d^2 \psi (x)}}
    {{dx^2 }} + V(x)\psi (X) = E\psi (x)$

[/tex]
    There is a quick sketc. However, it is a worthwhile problem to do yourself - seperation of variables is a very useful technique!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  4. Jun 9, 2004 #3
    Basic Separation of Variables

HI

You have not mentioned the situation for which you want the solution. So I am assuming that you are interested in getting the standard one,

[tex]
    \nabla^2 \psi + \frac{8\pi^{2}m}{h^{2}} (E-V)\psi = 0
    [/tex]

Here, E is the total particle energy, V is the potential energy, psi is the wavefunction for the particle, m is its mass, h is the Planck Constant.

Steps

We wish to write the wave equation for a particle, so generally, it is

[tex]
    \nabla^2 \psi = \frac{1}{v^{2}} \frac{\partial^2{\psi}}{\partial{t}^2}[/tex]

This is the starting point for all our computations. Now, in order to separate the time dependent parts (containing t) and the time-independent parts (containing x,y,z) we perform a technique called Separation of Variables. It is more generally used to solve partial differential equations.

We write the total wavefunction as a product of two wavefunctions--one dependent only on spatial coordinates (x,y,z) and not on time and the other dependent only on time and not on (x,y,z).

[tex]
    \psi_{(xyzt)} = \psi_{(xyz)}g(t)
    [/tex]

Now clearly g(t) must be solely time dependent, so for the sake of convenience, we usually write

[tex]
    g(t) = g_{0}e^{2 \pi i \nu t} \qquad \mbox{where i = \sqrt{-1}} \qquad \mbox{g_{0} = const.}
    [/tex]

Note that g(t) is the most general complex function depending only on time.

Substitute the (assumed) expression for the total wavefunction (including g(t) as a product) in the wave equation. Note that the laplacian is a space operator only (contains only space coordinates) and so g(t) remains unaffected by it. After a little bit of algebraic manipulations which should now be clear, you get

[tex]
    \nabla^{2}\psi_{(xyz)} = -\frac{4 \pi^{2}\nu^{2}}{v^{2}}\psi_{(xyz)}
    [/tex]

If the particle analog of the expression,

[tex]
    c = \lambda \nu
    [/tex]

that is,

[tex]
    v = \lambda \nu = \frac{h\nu}{p}
    [/tex]

is substituted for v in the above wave equation, it becomes

[tex]
    \nabla^{2}\psi_{(xyz)} = -\frac{4 \pi^{2}p^{2}}{h^{2}}\psi_{(xyz)}
    [/tex]

The linear momentum of the particle p, is related to the kinetic energy T as

[tex]
    T = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}
    [/tex]

Substituting for p into the equation and writing the kinetic energy T as (E-V) where E is the total energy of the particle and V is its potential energy, the wave equation becomes

[tex]
    \nabla^2 \psi + \frac{8\pi^{2}m}{h^{2}} (E-V)\psi = 0
    [/tex]

(This psi depends only on space coordinates, the (xyz) subscripts dropped.)

This is the time independent form of the Schroedinger Wave Equation. The algorithm for obtaining it is stated thus:

1. Consider the general wave equation in terms of the velocity of the particle.
    2. Write the total wavefunction as a product of two wavefunctions, one containing space coordinates only and the other containing time only. Simply to remove the time dependence.
    3. Use De-broglie's Relation to introduce particle character.
    4. Write T in terms of p.
    5. Replace T by E-V.
    6. Bingo!

Hope that helps...

Cheers
    Vivek

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  5. Jun 9, 2004 #4
    thank you maverick280857

6. Jun 9, 2004 #5
    thank you heardie

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?