Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about schwinger dewitt expansion

1. Jul 19, 2013 #1
    I have been trying to derive the schwinger dewitt expansion described in Avramidi's book. The Green's function solution to the Laplace Beltrami equation is, in n dimensions:

[itex]G[x,\acute{x}]=[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{(4 \pi \tau)^{n/2}}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\Delta}[/itex][itex]\;[/itex][itex]\mathcal{P}[/itex][itex]\;[/itex][itex]e^{-\sigma/(2 \:\tau)}[/itex][itex]\;[/itex][itex]\;[/itex][itex]\Omega[/itex]

where

• σ is the geodesic length squared from [itex]\acute{x}[/itex] to [itex]x[/itex]
      Δ is the Van Fleck Morette determinant
      Ω is the transfer function
      [itex]\mathcal{P}[/itex] is the parallel displacement operator
    Here is my question: is the following interpretation correct?

[itex]\mathcal{P}[/itex] satisfies the relation:

[itex]v^i \mathcal{D}_i \:\mathcal{P}=0[/itex]

where [itex]v^i[/itex] is the vector along the geodesic

[itex]\mathcal{P}[/itex] will transport a scalar from [itex]\acute{x}[/itex] to [itex]x[/itex]. If the connection [itex]\Gamma[/itex] which defines [itex] \mathcal{D}_i [/itex] were the Levi-Civitas connection, scalars would be transported unchanged and [itex]\mathcal{P}=1[/itex]. However as is stated in Adler Bazin and Schiffer, one doesn't need to use the Levi-Civitas connection; as long as [itex]\Gamma[/itex] transforms under change of coordinates in the correct way it is allowable as a connection. For general [itex]\Gamma[/itex] therefore
    [itex] \:\mathcal{P}≠1[/itex] and this is the reason Avramidi includes the factor in his formula
    Is my understanding correct?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted