1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about self-study of SR

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1
    Hi, I was wondering, as in the Bachelor's degree curriculum there is no SR course, for one who is interested in theoretical physics (as me), would do it alone, perhaps with texts such as Rindler or Synge ...?

Thank you in advance !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What stage of your education have you reached? I can't believe there is a university physics course without SR. It's fundamental.

There are a number of books on SR that aim to teach it for independent study. I like:

Special Relativity by TM Helliwell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Special-Relativity-Thomas-M-Helliwell/1891389610

4. Jun 1, 2017 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

In Germany, special relativity is part of the theory lectures. Here in Frankfurt it's usually introduced at the end of the 1st semester and continued in the 2nd semester. The lectures include Theory 1 (Mathematical methods, "naive" mechanics) and Theory 2 ("Analytical" mechanics).

5. Jun 1, 2017 #4
    Yes, there is, in Em course 2th year, but is very short and almost a historical path..

6. Jun 1, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which university are you going to?

7. Jun 1, 2017 #6
    I' am Italian, at Rome

8. Jun 1, 2017 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

La Sapienza? It is a very good university, including the physics department.

9. Jun 1, 2017 #8
    If you know the basic calculations of SR, then I would highly recommend Spacetime Physics by Wheeler and Taylor

10. Jun 2, 2017 #9
  11. Jun 2, 2017 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You got two recommendations. You want to ignore them and buy one of three other books. What, then, is the point of our making recommendations?

12. Jun 3, 2017 #11
    What is the best for a complete self-study ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted