Can a Sequence with a Limit of p be Called Infinite?

• Thread starter amanda_ou812
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation discusses using the definition of a limit of a sequence to prove the infiniteness of a set. The definition states that a sequence converges to a limit if for every e>0 there is a real number N where the distance between the limit and the sequence is less than e. It is also mentioned that just because a sequence is infinite does not mean all of its terms are distinct.
amanda_ou812

Homework Statement

If I have a sequence {Pn} and I know that lim Pn = p, can I call {Pn} infinite? I am trying to use this result in a real analysis proof. I know B(p; r) intersection S is non-empty and I need to show that it has indefinitely many points. I can show that {Pn} is a subset of S and is also a subset of B(p;r). So, if {Pn} is infinite, then B(p;r) intersection S would have indefinitely many points. Our definition of {Pn} is not strictly defined. Just that n is a natural number. I know that sequences can be finite or infinite but I am not sure of the definitions. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a definition for the limit of a sequence?

We are using the definition: Let (X, d) be a metric space, {pn} is a subset of C and is a sequence in X and p is an element in X. We say that the sequence converges to p and write lim (as n-> infinity) pn = p provided that for every e>0, there is a real number N so that when n>N the d(p, pn)<e

Sorry, {pn} is a subset of X

amanda_ou812 said:
We are using the definition: Let (X, d) be a metric space, {pn} is a subset of C and is a sequence in X and p is an element in X. We say that the sequence converges to p and write lim (as n-> infinity) pn = p provided that for every e>0, there is a real number N so that when n>N the d(p, pn)<e
You wrote, "lim (as n-> infinity) pn = p". Doesn't that imply that if a sequence does converge to a limit, then it must be an infinite sequence ?

Added in Edit:

Of course, just because a sequence is infinite, it doesn't follow that all of its terms are distinct.

hm...I see your point. So, {pn} infinite and {pn} as a subset of B(p; r) intersection S does not imply that B(p;r) intersection S has indefinitly many points. Is there another way I can get to that conclusion?

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. It can be finite or infinite, and the terms in the sequence are typically denoted by a subscript or parentheses.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. In contrast, a geometric sequence is a sequence where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

How do you find the next term in a sequence?

The next term in a sequence can be found by identifying the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. This can involve looking at the difference between terms, the ratio between terms, or other mathematical relationships.

What is the importance of sequences in mathematics?

Sequences are important in mathematics because they allow us to model and understand patterns and relationships. They also have many real-world applications, such as in financial planning, data analysis, and computer programming.

What are some common types of sequences?

Some common types of sequences include arithmetic, geometric, Fibonacci, and triangular sequences. Other types include alternating, recursive, and infinite sequences.