Solving Sets: (A intersects B) - C

• Thread starter Bucs44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the problem (A intersect B) - C, given the sets A= {1,4,7,10}, B= {1,2,3,4,5}, and C= {2,4,6,8}, and applying the definition of X - Y to find the final answer. The definition states that the difference X - Y consists of all elements in X that are not in Y. Therefore, the final answer is {4} since 1 is not in C.
Bucs44

Homework Statement

Here is the problem that I want to make sure I have an understanding of:

(A intersects B) - C

Given the following sets: A= {1,4,7,10} B= {1,2,3,4,5} C= {2,4,6,8}

Order of operations tells me to do what's in parentheses first. A intersecting B which gives me {1, 4}

Now minus C is where I'm a little fuzzy - I think the final answer is {4} because I took out the number that wasn't in set C - being 1.

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of X\Y or X-Y in your notes?

The difference X - Y consists of all elements in X that are not in Y

So apply the definition to the sets.

Right - so the answer is 4

?
YOU just said "The difference X - Y consists of all elements in X that are not in Y" (added emphasis). So (A intersect B)- C consists of all elements of (A intersect B) that are not in C. And C= {2, 4, 6, 8}.
Which of 1 and 4 is not in C?

Okay - I had it backwards - 1 is not in C

1. What is the meaning of (A intersects B) - C?

The expression (A intersects B) - C refers to the set that contains all the elements that are common to both A and B, but not in C. In other words, it is the result of subtracting the elements of set C from the intersection of sets A and B.

2. How do I solve (A intersects B) - C?

To solve (A intersects B) - C, you first find the intersection of sets A and B, then remove any elements that are also in set C. The resulting set will be the solution to the equation.

3. What does it mean for two sets to intersect?

When two sets intersect, it means that they have at least one common element. In other words, there is at least one element that is present in both sets.

4. Can (A intersects B) - C be an empty set?

Yes, it is possible for (A intersects B) - C to be an empty set. This would occur if set C contains all the elements that are in the intersection of sets A and B, resulting in a set with no elements.

5. How is (A intersects B) - C different from (A - C) intersects (B - C)?

(A intersects B) - C and (A - C) intersects (B - C) are different expressions. The first one refers to the elements that are common to sets A and B, but not in set C. The second expression refers to the elements that are in set A but not in set C, and also in set B but not in set C. In other words, the order of operations is different, resulting in potentially different sets.