Is (x^2-1)/x^2 More Simplified Than 1-(1/x^2)?

• Thread starter datdere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, there is debate over whether the form (x^2-1)/x^2 is more simplified than 1-(1/x^2) and whether it should be deducted as a mistake. Some argue that your form is simpler for future derivatives while others argue that the teacher's form is more simplified. Additionally, there is no official rule on this topic and taking marks off for not simplifying fractions may not always be necessary.
datdere
I don't know if this is calculus or not but this was on a calculus test. It was the last step of a third derivative question. I lost a mark because the teacher says (x^2-1)/x^2 is more simplified than 1-(1/x^2).. is this fair? Is there an official rule that states (x^2-1)/x^2 is more simplified? Normally I wouldn't care about one mark but I was getting 100 in the course and that section was only out of 8 so now my mark is going to plummet for no reason.. -_-

Physics news on Phys.org
I take off points for my students if they don't combine fractions like this, and they also complain. Fair? That is in the eye of the beholder. Usually when you combine fractions by putting them over a common denominator, the numerator simplifies quite a bit. For example, sqrt(1/16 + 1/9) reduces to 5/12.

Well it is more simplified because you have to simplify it by finding the common denominator, therefore your teacher is correct. By the way it's nothing serious so don't be hard on yourself.

technicality. no way to get out of it. file it under 'syntax deduction'. perhaps attention to detail is required but not always necessary.

datdere said:
I don't know if this is calculus or not but this was on a calculus test. It was the last step of a third derivative question. I lost a mark because the teacher says (x^2-1)/x^2 is more simplified than 1-(1/x^2).. is this fair? Is there an official rule that states (x^2-1)/x^2 is more simplified? Normally I wouldn't care about one mark but I was getting 100 in the course and that section was only out of 8 so now my mark is going to plummet for no reason.. -_-

IMO, and having worked as a college math teacher for 19 years, I would say that the teacher is being pedantic and arbitrary in saying that his/her form is simpler than yours. Arguments could be made for either form being advantageous, but if you had to take one more derivative (the 4th), your form would be much simpler to work with. I'm assuming that the problem instructions didn't specify the form in which the answer should appear. If there were no such instructions, I don't understand why your teacher felt the need to deduct a point.

chrisbaird said:
I take off points for my students if they don't combine fractions like this, and they also complain. Fair? That is in the eye of the beholder. Usually when you combine fractions by putting them over a common denominator, the numerator simplifies quite a bit. For example, sqrt(1/16 + 1/9) reduces to 5/12.

you forgot the part where the fraction here DOESNT become simplified when you combine the fraction.. in fact it becomes complified therefore i don't see a reason to do this. there was another question where taking the common denom canceled out some stuff but here it did nothing so i didn't do it..

Mark44 said:
IMO, and having worked as a college math teacher for 19 years, I would say that the teacher is being pedantic and arbitrary in saying that his/her form is simpler than yours. Arguments could be made for either form being advantageous, but if you had to take one more derivative (the 4th), your form would be much simpler to work with. I'm assuming that the problem instructions didn't specify the form in which the answer should appear. If there were no such instructions, I don't understand why your teacher felt the need to deduct a point.

Exactly right. I don't agree with the teacher.

For that matter, what if I'd "simplified" the expression further by a needless factorisation to (x+1)(x-1)/x^2? Would I get extra credit? :rolleyes:

Curious3141 said:
Exactly right. I don't agree with the teacher.

For that matter, what if I'd "simplified" the expression further by a needless factorisation to (x+1)(x-1)/x^2? Would I get extra credit? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, any more thoughts so I can show him this thread? If there's no official rule about making a common denominator I'm going to talk to her about this again (I tried once already T.T).

The only solid thing I can say is that taking the derivative of my form is easier, and since he said always use a simplified form before taking the next derivative, his argument is in my favour, lol

Honestly if there's no written rules about this it doesn't make sense to take off a whole mark out of 3 -.-also want to add @chrisbaird, why are you taking marks off from your students when it's clearly a debatable topic? If you have students arguing about it, why are you taking off marks? I don't understand.

Last edited:
datdere said:
also want to add @chrisbaird, why are you taking marks off from your students when it's clearly a debatable topic? If you have students arguing about it, why are you taking off marks? I don't understand.

Your case does not seem as serious a mistake as others, but when you get into other topics such as infinite series expansions, taking this step becomes crucial.

1. How do I simplify a complex equation?

There are several ways to simplify a complex equation, including factoring, combining like terms, and using the distributive property. It is important to follow the order of operations and carefully work through each step to ensure the equation is simplified correctly.

2. Can I use a calculator to simplify equations?

Yes, calculators can be helpful in simplifying equations, but it is important to understand the steps involved in simplifying manually. Using a calculator can also introduce errors, so it is important to double check your work.

3. How can I simplify fractions?

To simplify a fraction, you can divide the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor. This will result in an equivalent fraction that is simpler and easier to work with. You can also use a calculator to find the decimal or percentage equivalent of a fraction.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying equations?

Simplifying equations helps make them easier to understand and work with. It also helps identify patterns and relationships within the equation, making it easier to solve. Simplifying can also help to identify any mistakes in the original equation.

5. Are there any shortcuts for simplifying equations?

There are some shortcuts for simplifying equations, such as using the rules of exponents or finding common factors. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind these shortcuts in order to use them effectively. In general, it is best to follow the standard steps for simplifying an equation to ensure accuracy.