1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about siphoning.

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    Lets say I am in an elevator and I start siphoning from 2 containers. And then the elevator goes into free fall after it was already siphoning. I originally thought that it would stop siphoning instantly as it went into free fall. Now I think it will stop a little later. As the siphon is running gravity is doing the work, when it goes into free fall it is like gravity is turned off. So the force is cut but the water has momentum, so will the water flow until the friction causes the water to stop. I am thinking about this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2
    someone has to have something on this.

4. May 23, 2012 #3
    The siphon will not work in such a scenario. There has to be a pressure differential at the top of the inverted U for it to function. So yes, it will only work until frictional losses consume all the (kinetic)energy.

5. May 23, 2012 #4
    I agree. In free fall objects experience apparent weightlessness. The water would not run out of the hole in the bottom of the container.
    I have seen film taken on the ISS and water is seen to 'float around' in the cabin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook