Unconscious Memory during Sleep: Is Everything Remembered When You Wake Up?

• Medical
  • Thread starter candydude357
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary: Yes, dreams occur in all five stages of sleep. And they are often more vivid and detailed in the later stages.
candydude357
OK so people told me that you are partly conscious/on a low level of consciousness when you sleep. They also told me that you perceive everything around you when you sleep, but don't think about it. Now, when you sleep your memory doesn't work on as high of a level as when you're awake. If it worked perfectly and you remembered everything you felt would you actually remember everything around you, ie the noises, how the bed feels, etc when you woke up? Or at least would it be different memories than what you would remember if you were for example under anaesthesia?

Biology news on Phys.org
candydude357 said:
OK so people told me that you are partly conscious/on a low level of consciousness when you sleep. They also told me that you perceive everything around you when you sleep, but don't think about it. Now, when you sleep your memory doesn't work on as high of a level as when you're awake. If it worked perfectly and you remembered everything you felt would you actually remember everything around you, ie the noises, how the bed feels, etc when you woke up? Or at least would it be different memories than what you would remember if you were for example under anaesthesia?

Your memory works somewhat when you are sleeping, why do you think you remember those fun dreams? Actually there's a lot of evidence (and speculation) that memory is one of the reasons for sleep--To cement in those memories from day, so to say.

Even though you "think" you remember your days, you actually forget most of the events that happen in the day. Even the ones you are aware of. As uncomfortable as it is, our brains actually do a lot of things without our consent--Forgetting is one of them. Interestingly it doesn't "remembering" for us as well. Can't recall a memory exactly? No worries, you brain will simply make up and confabulate what you can't recall :smile:

But would it be possible to sleep if your memory worked perfectly or would it interfere?

candydude357 said:
But would it be possible to sleep if your memory worked perfectly or would it interfere?

This question doesn't make much sense. You are basically asking "If the brain operated completely differently how would this affect the brain?"

Also what exactly causes sleepwalking?

candydude357 said:

No, the idea of sleep is an alteration of how the brain is working. Your thalamic nuclei pay a large part in maintaining "wakefullness" and awareness. They accomplish this (the neurons in those nuclei) by firing in a tonic mode, which codes more specific sensorimotor information to higher cortical regions of the brain.

During sleep (slow wave sleep) the ascending reticular activating system that depolarizes thalamic neurons and is normally in a tonic firing state is suppressed which shifts thalamic nuclei to burst mode firing. In burst mode they are doing a kind of "sentinel vigilance"--Where lower processing centers of your brain can asses the information and dismiss it. Most of this information then, will have low salience (what gets your attention) and will not be stored in declarative memory systems. If your brain decides that information being received from burst mode neurons is more salient and requires your attention--The mode switches to tonic firing and thalamic nuclei involved in arousal wake you up. That information that was salient will be in your working memory (a special kind of short term memory) and possibly later consolidated into long term memory.

Say for instance you fell asleep on a train track and were awoken by the train horn. That sensory input (the horn) aroused you from sleep and is now in your working memory that allows you to make decisions and carry out planned motor function: Get off the train track. Likewise, you'd probably store that in long term memory such that in the future when you're looking for a place to sleep you don't lay down on a train track again.

candydude357 said:
Also what exactly causes sleepwalking?

Sleepwalking occurs in non-rem sleep. You actually wake up out of slow wave sleep (non-REM sleep), but those thalamic nuclei aren't fully aroused. You're in a "low state" of consciousness. Even in a "low state", your activity is still driven by processing centers in your brain without your direct awareness so you carry out functions without "knowing" it. Like cooking, cleaning, or even having sex with people!

Because many of your ascending systems still operate in burst mode, you're not getting conscious sensorimotor (tonic) coding. So much of the events that happen while sleepwalking go unremembered.

Or in laymen's terms--You don't fully wake up and your brain is just working on autopilot.

Is it true that during sleep you're still partly conscious?
Also I read that there are dreams in all 5 stages of sleep (the 4 non rem ones and rem)

Also if sleepwalking has rapid eye movement why is it classified as being in stage 4 of sleep and not its own stage?

Candydude you were warned last time you set up a sleeping thread not to just ask question after question and do some research yourself.

Already did that, there are lots of different facts & theories about it.
Also is breathing a conscious, subconscious or unconscious process? Kuz you breathe without noticing but you can notice&control.

candydude357 said:
Already did that, there are lots of different facts & theories about it.
Also is breathing a conscious, subconscious or unconscious process? Kuz you breathe without noticing but you can notice&control.

You have breathing central pattern generators in the mid-caudal medulla that control your breathing unconsciously. You can over ride those with upper motor neuron pathways because most of the breathing muscles are skeletal.

But is it true that you ruminate in deep sleep? Because I know that you can dream in all 5 stages (according to multiple sources) and "you only dream in REM" is a misconception.

Also if you fell asleep when it's loud around you and it became quiet when you slept would you wake up?

candydude357 said:
But is it true that you ruminate in deep sleep?

Are you asking if one thinks deeply in one's sleep, or if one chews one's cud in one's sleep?

DaveC426913 said:
Are you asking if one thinks deeply in one's sleep, or if one chews one's cud in one's sleep?

Thinks deeply.

candydude357 said:
Thinks deeply.
Usually thinking is associated with the conscious mind. I am not sure if it is meaningful to talk about thinking in the unconscious mind. But I suppose that is a semantic issue. THe brain continues to process. I guess you'll have to define what you mean by thinking (deeply).

candydude357 said:
Also if you fell asleep when it's loud around you and it became quiet when you slept would you wake up?
That can happen, yes.

You are not deaf when asleep. You do still receive audio input, which is capable of stimulating you out of sleep.

DaveC426913 said:
Usually thinking is associated with the conscious mind. I am not sure if it is meaningful to talk about thinking in the unconscious mind. But I suppose that is a semantic issue. THe brain continues to process. I guess you'll have to define what you mean by thinking (deeply).

Is your mind completely unconscious, conscious or subconscious?
I get all kinds of answers...

candydude357 said:

it's not entirely clear. there are even people who claim to practice "lucid dreaming" where they attempt to influence the content of their dreams.

but not all sleep is REM sleep where dreaming occurs. there are different stages with varying levels of brain activity.

Proton Soup said:
it's not entirely clear. there are even people who claim to practice "lucid dreaming" where they attempt to influence the content of their dreams.

but not all sleep is REM sleep where dreaming occurs. there are different stages with varying levels of brain activity.

according to most sources you can have dreams in all stages.

So does sleep involve COMPLETE unconscioucness?
Or COMPLETE consciousness?
Or partial consciousness/subconsciousness?

candydude357 said:

Why does the question even matter to you? What difference would it make if you knew the answer?

Can someone answer please?

<bump>

apeiron said:
Why does the question even matter to you? What difference would it make if you knew the answer?

What I'm wondering about is if you exist during sleep.

candydude357 said:

Does a tree falling in the woods still make a sound?

Yes but that doesn't answer my question about sleep

candydude357 said:
Yes but that doesn't answer my question about sleep

Why not?

candydude357 said:

Of course you exist. Are you looking you get this thread moved to Philosophy?

candydude357 said:

you exist until http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_death"

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Of course you exist. Are you looking you get this thread moved to Philosophy?

No, I'm trying to get answers to my previous questions.

candydude357 said:
No, I'm trying to get answers to my previous questions.

Define conscious, unconscious and subconsciousand then you get your answer.

I think you might do better to pick up a book on the subject. This buckshot approach to questions does not seem to be giving you much satisfaction. Your questions are kind of peppered with preconceptions and vagaries, so attempts to answer them must first sort out misconceptions and meanings.

So does sleep involve COMPLETE unconscioucness?
Examples of lucid dreaming show that the answer is: not always.

Or COMPLETE consciousness?
I do not know why you ask this question. You know the answer. It is the kind of question that causes people to not want to answer, since it makes them wonder what you're up to.

Or partial consciousness/subconsciousness?
Probably. Or more accurately: I do not know the answer. There are authorities that can teach you much more about current research the subject better than anyone here.

Like if your memory perfectly stored everything that you felt/experienced in sleep and you woke up and remembered, would the memory be different from your memory of what you felt before you were born?

candydude357 said:
Like if your memory perfectly stored everything that you felt/experienced in sleep and you woke up and remembered, would the memory be different from your memory of what you felt before you were born?

Are you serious Candydude? Before asking question after question why don't you respond to some of the points that have been made?

As for this comment I do remember my dreams but how is that anything to do with before we were born? For most of that time we didn't even have a fully formed brain.

You really should go and study this by buying books on the subject (science books) rather than shotgunning questions at people, especially when those questions are followed by more that have no baring to the answers previously given.