Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about solids.

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    I would like to know how material solids of exact composition stay apart from one another? Additional...Gage blocks (steel), while unmagnitized,can be "rung" together. I know that solids have structured atoms and are hard to compress and all that stuff....Help!!!!!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I wouldn't know too much, but enough to know this would be better answered in the Chemistry section.

Basically my answer is, theres nothing attacting them to make them not stay apart. They are solids, so its at its lowest energy state, ingnoring Condensates etc... Not as much energy as say, gases, so it won't be able to react as easily. In those forms, the electrons react easier.

The only reason we don't fall through the ground is because the electrons on the atoms of our feet are opposed by the electrons on the ground. Negative charges reply negative charges, stopping us from unknown consequences.

Sorry If i wasnt very good.
  4. Jan 25, 2007 #3

Gold Member

You may want to read this:

Also keep in mind that atoms are neutral.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?