Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about sound waves

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    Hello to all,

I've been wondering about sound waves for a while, and here's one question that came up...

Is there a natural limit to sounds being in the audible range... I mean, if we amplify the sounds (edit: the air pressure differences , since I'm not sure they would fall in the sound category) made by a fly 'walking' on some surface, will it be audible ?

Are all earth sounds audible if amplified enough ?

I know this is a bit crude but I'm sure you get the point ...

Regards,

VE

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2
    There is a range of frequencies that we hear, too high of a frequency, and we don't hear it. Dogs hear higher frequencies than us, elephants can hear lower frequencies than us. Kind of just like light, we can't see UV or radio.

4. May 29, 2008 #3
    TR... I'm aware of that but my question still stands, could we hear the fly movin about ?

I'm not wording this question in a proper way, but, I guess what I mean to ask is; if any pressure differential is in the audible frequency range, provided we amplify it enough, we should be able to hear it shouldn't we ?...

VE

5. May 29, 2008 #4
    Yes. If the frequencies are in the auditory range of the human ear. That's why sound reinforcement is necessary in certain applications, aside from some relatively small amphitheaters that are designed acoustically to disperse sound from the stage to the audience. If I'm on the far side of a 100,000-person capacity stadium, there's no way I could hear someone speaking at normal conversation level or playing an acoustic instrument on a stage without sound reinforcement. Sound reinforcement makes this possible.

If you amplify the sound too much, you could quite possibly never hear anything again!

6. May 29, 2008 #5
    As long as air molecules start to move and hits your eardrum there should exist a possibility of you hearing the fly, but in reality that faint noise will disappear in the 'sea' of other moving molecules hitting your ears.

This one could be cool to read.
    www . tomdukich . com/weather%20songs%20narrative.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?