Question about sound waves

• Thread starter ValenceE
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello to all,

I've been wondering about sound waves for a while, and here's one question that came up...

Is there a natural limit to sounds being in the audible range... I mean, if we amplify the sounds (edit: the air pressure differences , since I'm not sure they would fall in the sound category) made by a fly 'walking' on some surface, will it be audible ?

Are all earth sounds audible if amplified enough ?

I know this is a bit crude but I'm sure you get the point ...

Regards,

VE

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

There is a range of frequencies that we hear, too high of a frequency, and we don't hear it. Dogs hear higher frequencies than us, elephants can hear lower frequencies than us. Kind of just like light, we can't see UV or radio.

TR... I'm aware of that but my question still stands, could we hear the fly movin about ?

I'm not wording this question in a proper way, but, I guess what I mean to ask is; if any pressure differential is in the audible frequency range, provided we amplify it enough, we should be able to hear it shouldn't we ?...

VE

TR... I'm aware of that but my question still stands, could we hear the fly movin about ?

I'm not wording this question in a proper way, but, I guess what I mean to ask is; if any pressure differential is in the audible frequency range, provided we amplify it enough, we should be able to hear it shouldn't we ?...

VE
Yes. If the frequencies are in the auditory range of the human ear. That's why sound reinforcement is necessary in certain applications, aside from some relatively small amphitheaters that are designed acoustically to disperse sound from the stage to the audience. If I'm on the far side of a 100,000-person capacity stadium, there's no way I could hear someone speaking at normal conversation level or playing an acoustic instrument on a stage without sound reinforcement. Sound reinforcement makes this possible.

If you amplify the sound too much, you could quite possibly never hear anything again!

As long as air molecules start to move and hits your eardrum there should exist a possibility of you hearing the fly, but in reality that faint noise will disappear in the 'sea' of other moving molecules hitting your ears.

This one could be cool to read.
www . tomdukich . com/weather%20songs%20narrative.html