Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about spectroscopic notation

1. May 30, 2005 #1
    Greetings,

I'm a bit confused about the notation for multi-electron orbitals.
    For example, you have the notation

[tex]^{1}D_{2}[/tex],

which mean a singlet with S=0 L=2, J=2, right?

Now I've come across the notation (in Slater)

[tex]^{1}D_{2}^{0}[/tex]

What's the deal with the extra superscript 0?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The std. notation, as I'm sure you know is 2S+1XJ, where X = S,P,D,F.

I've also come across notation that appends nlx in front of the std. notation. Where this extra addition is simply the configuration of the outermost subshell.

I have no idea what notation Slater is using. But keep in mind that he is a physicist (and hence loathes spectroscopists despite feeding off their data :wink:) and nearly all his books were written in the 60s (or thereabouts).

4. May 30, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is correct. Until better info comes along, you can feel safe ignoring the 0.

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4
    The superscript o after the subshell indicates odd parity. When the parity is even, there is no superscript. I hesitate to venture further, because it's a little fuzzy to me as well. I think that the odd parity results if you get a negative value when summing spins, like if you have a total negative spin. This thread is so old, I don't know if anybody even cares.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?