Are Protons and Nuclei Transitioning Between Spin States in NMR and MRI?

In summary: Yes, protons/nuclei transition between spin states. -The quarks comprising the nucleons contribute little to the actual spin of the nucleus. -Different molecules (of which there are millions or billions in a sample) may have on or the other, so it's a net effect.
bladesong
Hi everyone. I'm trying to give myself a primer in quantum mechanics/chemistry as I'm doing a literature review on NMR and its applications. I have a few questions. (I'm an electrical engineer, I understand our troubled past, and hopefully our peoples can find a peace)

I'm trying to understand chemical shift and just watched the following video on coupling:

My first question: Do protons/nuclei transition between spin states? i.e., HA transitions between up an down, thus causing HB to do the same, and that's why there's a doublet? Otherwise if it were stable wouldn't that only result in a singlet? Or is it because different molecules (of which there are millions or billions in a sample) may have on or the other, so it's a net effect?

Secondly, the quarks comprising the nucleons contribute little to the actual spin of the nucleus, correct? To my understanding it's primarily a more complicated function of sea quarks as well as electrons?

Finally, the MRI world seems to be very different than the NMR spectroscopy world. In MRI they typically talk more of protons, referring to hydrogen nuclei. I understand this is more accurately referring to the hydrogen in water molecules. Given that molecules will orient differently dependent on spin, why do the released energy vectors from nuclei in opposing spins not cancel each other out?

I understand that some of these questions may be rudimentary so I apologize in advance. Additionally if responses could be kept fairly plebeian it would be greatly appreciated: while I do have a working knowledge of physics, my quantum physics and mechanics knowledge is amateur at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've actually already read that and still aren't clear on the specifics in my questions

What is a spin state?

A spin state refers to the quantum mechanical property of a particle or system of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a fundamental property of particles and is an important factor in understanding their behavior.

How is spin state measured?

Spin state is measured by observing the behavior of particles in a magnetic field. The orientation of the particle's spin relative to the direction of the magnetic field can be detected and used to determine the spin state.

What is the significance of spin states?

Spin states play a crucial role in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics. They are also important in technology, such as in the development of magnetic storage devices.

How many spin states are there?

The number of possible spin states depends on the type of particle. For example, electrons have two spin states, while protons and neutrons have three.

Can spin states change?

Yes, spin states can change through interactions with other particles or through external influences like magnetic fields. This is known as spin flipping.