Did the particle deflect due to the change in B field to an E field in my frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Stern-Gerlach experiment and the role of a magnetic field in deflecting particles with spin. The concept of a moving frame and its effect on the B field is also explored, with the conclusion that the magnetic dipole moment is replaced by an electric dipole moment in the new frame. There is also a mention of the responsibility of proving the existence of such a frame and the potential energy equation for the deflection of particles.
cragar
Lets say I have a uniform line charge moving at a speed v. This will create the B field for our stern-gerlach experiment. Now I shoot neutrons or some other particle with spin that will be affected by the B field. Now let's say I am moving with this line charge at speed v. In my frame there is no B field just an E field. But I will still see the particle deflect based on its spin. Would i say the particle deflected in my frame because its B field is now and E field in my frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Stern-Gerlach experiment needs a magnetic field which has a variable strength in the direction of the field lines. With your line charge, you get field lines around the wire, with the same strength along those lines. You do not a deflection in any system.

ok can we think of a setup where we could get deflection, and also put our selves in a frame where there is no B field. What about the B field of a moving charge or some other configuration.

You are making the assumption that one can invent such a frame. I think it's your responsibility to show such a frame exists, not the respondents'.

The neutron is deflected because of a force, namely the gradient of the B field acting on its magnetic dipole moment, F = (m·)B. Equivalently, there's term in the potential energy, V = m·B, and F is the gradient of V.

But when viewed from a moving frame in which B = 0, the Lorentz transformation has replaced the B field by an E field. Does that mean that V = 0 in this frame?

No! Because guess what happens to m? In the new frame, in which the neutron itself is moving, the magnetic dipole moment of the neutron is replaced by an electric dipole moment.

Ok thanks Bill K. the magnetic dipole moment is replaced by an electric dipole moment.
Thats what i thought. but mfb made it sound like it wasn't going to happen.

1. What is the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The Stern Gerlach experiment is a famous physics experiment that demonstrated the quantization of atomic spin. It involves passing a beam of silver atoms through a magnetic field and observing the deflection of the atoms, which can only have two possible outcomes due to their quantized spin.

2. Who were Stern and Gerlach?

Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach were two German physicists who performed the famous experiment in 1922. They were trying to test the classical theory of atomic structure, but their results showed that the classical theory was incorrect and that atomic spin was quantized.

3. What are the implications of the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The Stern Gerlach experiment had significant implications for the field of quantum mechanics, as it demonstrated the quantization of atomic spin and disproved the classical theory of atomic structure. It also provided evidence for the existence of spin angular momentum and contributed to the development of quantum theory.

4. How does the Stern Gerlach experiment work?

The experiment involves passing a beam of silver atoms through a non-uniform magnetic field, which causes the atoms to deflect either up or down depending on their spin orientation. This deflection is then observed on a detector, which produces a distinct pattern of two lines, indicating the two possible spin orientations.

5. What are the applications of the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The Stern Gerlach experiment has been instrumental in advancing our understanding of atomic structure and the principles of quantum mechanics. It has also led to the development of technologies such as the electron microscope and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, the experiment continues to be used in various research fields, including atomic physics, quantum computing, and quantum information processing.