• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Question about summer Research

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Does GPA matter as much if you are asking a professor to work as a student research assistant for their research group at the university you are attending as opposed to apply to some REU.

For research in the fall semester, I know GPA is not a factor since you are not really getting paid like you are during the re regular school semester.

Answers and Replies

I think only the professor can answer that question. If you are asking to be paid, then you probably have to impress him/her somehow.

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Does GPA matter as much if you are asking a professor to work as a student research assistant for their research group at the university you are attending as opposed to apply to some REU.

For research in the fall semester, I know GPA is not a factor since you are not really getting paid like you are during the re regular school semester.
GPA is the easiest way to convince a prof that you are smart, conscientious, and hard-working. If you have an alternate way of convincing a prof of these things, a 3.0 is probably good enough. But you need to convince the prof that you are the kind of student who will find a way to succeed at the tasks assigned rather than consistently finding a good excuse for not succeeding.

Michael Courtney