Exploring Coefficient Pairing in Polynomials: A Scientific Approach

In summary, when pairing coefficients of polynomials with corresponding unknowns on the other side of an equation, the justification for this action is the definition of equality of polynomials. This can be seen in a similar way to adding vectors in the plane, where the only way to get a zero vector is if both vectors are zero. And for expressing that a polynomial has no constant term, we can use the notation P(0) = 0, meaning that the polynomial evaluated at 0 is equal to 0.
aikismos
Just to double check, but if one wanted to, like in partial fraction decomposition, associate literal coefficients of polynomials with corresponding unknowns on the other side of the equation, the justification for this action is the definition of equality of polynomials?

EDIT: I know this isn't true. Let's see, ## a - b = 2 ## is as far as it can be reduced.
## 3x^2 + bx = ax^2 + 5x \rightarrow a = 3, b = 5 ##

Another related question is how do I express symbolically that in:

## P(x) = ax^2 + bx ##

P(x) has no constant term?

I'm kinda groping around for a rigorous way to express and justify the pairing of coefficients if you were to write them as two equivalent n-tuples.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would put everything on the same side and group similar powers of ##x## like this: ##(3-a)x^2+(b-5)x = 0 ##. Since this is true for all ## x ##, and since ## x ## and ## x^2 ## are independent functions (their Wronskian does not vanish), their coefficients must separately each be zero. This is a lot like having, for arrow vectors in the plane, that ## (3-a)\mathbf{i}+(b-5)\mathbf{j} = 0 ##. The only way to add a vector in the ## \mathbf{i} ## direction to one in the ## \mathbf{j}## direction and get zero is if, in fact, both vectors are the zero vector.

For the second question, how about writing it as ## P(0) = 0 ##?

aikismos said:
Just to double check, but if one wanted to, like in partial fraction decomposition, associate literal coefficients of polynomials with corresponding unknowns on the other side of the equation, the justification for this action is the definition of equality of polynomials?

EDIT: I know this isn't true. Let's see, ## a - b = 2 ## is as far as it can be reduced.
## 3x^2 + bx = ax^2 + 5x \rightarrow a = 3, b = 5 ##

Another related question is how do I express symbolically that in:

## P(x) = ax^2 + bx ##

P(x) has no constant term?

I'm kinda groping around for a rigorous way to express and justify the pairing of coefficients if you were to write them as two equivalent n-tuples.
In partial fractions decomposition, you're setting up an equation that is true for all values of the independent variable (except those that make any denominator zero). IOW, two expressions that are identically equal.
So, for ## 3x^2 + bx = ax^2 + 5x##, for all x, it must be the case that a = 3 and b = 5.

Thanks guys!

1. What is the definition of terminology?

Terminology is the technical or specialized language used in a particular field or subject, often consisting of specific terms and their meanings.

2. Why is terminology important in scientific research?

Terminology is crucial in scientific research because it allows for clear and precise communication between researchers and helps to avoid misunderstandings. It also helps to establish a common understanding and standardization within a particular field of study.

3. How is terminology developed in science?

Terminology in science is typically developed through a process of consensus building among experts in a specific field. This can involve defining terms, reviewing and revising definitions, and creating new terms as needed.

4. What are some common challenges in using terminology in scientific research?

Some common challenges in using terminology in scientific research include inconsistencies in definitions, language barriers, and changes in terminology over time. Additionally, new discoveries and advancements in a field can lead to the need for new terminology to be developed.

5. How can I stay updated on changes in terminology in my field of study?

To stay updated on changes in terminology in your field of study, it is important to regularly read and engage with relevant scientific literature. Attending conferences and networking with other researchers can also help to stay informed about any updates or changes in terminology. Additionally, staying connected with professional organizations and associations in your field can also provide valuable resources and updates on terminology.