Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Tetrad

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    I am new to tetrad formalism in general relativity. I understand that [itex]e^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] is the component of a tetrad basis but what is meaning of [itex]e^{a \mu}[/itex] and how do i find it? For example, [itex]e^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix (a,b,c,d), how do I find [itex]e^{a \mu}[/itex]? Just raise the index using metric tensor [itex]g^{\nu \mu}[/itex]?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

There is a good explanation in section 5.8 of the attached notes.

Attached Files:

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Thanks. Let see if I understand it correctly.

Let say my metric tensor [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix (a^2,b^2,c^2,d^2) and we choose the tetrad [itex]e^{m}_{\mu}[/itex] as (a,b,c,d), then the [itex]\gamma_{mn}[/itex] is equal to (1,1,1,1) right? And we use this [itex]\gamma_{mn}[/itex] to raise and lower the tetrad indices m and n right?

Besides, if my metric tensor is not a diagonal matrix, is there a simple way to find the corresponding tetrad?

Thanks.

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

According to equ(3), for an orthonormal tetrad, ##\gamma_m \cdot\gamma_n = \eta_{mn}##, but in general ##\gamma_m \cdot\gamma_n = \gamma_{mn}##. I assume the dot is the tensor product.

If you can write the line element as a sum of squares, it's possible to read off the static frame field. But for the frame field of a general worldline, I don't know a method that works every time.
    I have had success finding a frame cobasis for a 4-velocity ##u^\mu## by setting the components of the cobasis vectors so ##{\vec{e}}_0=u_\mu##, which points the time-like cobasis vector in the right direction. One has to guess the structure of the other ##{\vec{e}}_i##, while keeping the vectors independent, and put in unknowns for the components. Then calculate ##g_{\mu\nu} = -{\vec{e}}_0 \otimes {\vec{e}}_0 + \sum_i {\vec{e}}_i \otimes {\vec{e}}_i## and iteratively eliminate the unknowns. There could be better ways to do this, but I don't know them.

( The tensor product above corresponds to equ(12) in the notes, with ##\gamma=\eta##, if the rows of the tetrad ##{e^m}_\mu## are the cobasis vectors)).

If that isn't clear I can show you an example.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. Apr 11, 2013 #5
    Can you show me an example so that it is much clearer?

Thanks.

7. Apr 11, 2013 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

I'm going to use matrices to show this because it will be quicker. Given this metric
    ## \left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
    g00 & g01 & 0 & 0\\\
    g01 & g11 & 0 & 0\\\
    0 & 0 & g22 & 0\\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & g33\end{array}
    \right]
    ##
    and making a guess at the cobasis vectors,
    ##\mathbf{e_0}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} a & b & 0 & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_1}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} c & d & 0 & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_2}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & \sqrt{g22} & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_3}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & \sqrt{g33}\end{array} \right]
    ##
    where a,b,c,d are unknown. Now we calculate the tensor product of the covector ( see my previous) and get
    ## \left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
    {c}^{2}-{a}^{2} & c\,d-a\,b & 0 & 0\\\
    c\,d-a\,b & d^2-b^2 & 0 & 0\\\
    0 & 0 & g22 & 0\\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & g33\end{array}
    \right]
    ##
    Now we can start eliminating a,b,c and d. For instance, we have the equation
    ##c\,d-a\,b=g01## or ##c=\frac{g01+a\,b}{d}##. Now substitute this value into the cobasis vectors and recalculate the tensor product and repeat.

To give some physical meaning to this choose ##{\mathbf{e}}_0## to be the 4-velocity covector of some worldline. For a static observer b will be zero.

This is a basic, brute-force method ( I have software to do this ) and maybe someone will come up with something elegant.

Over to you, have fun :wink:

[edit]
    I get ##b=0##, ##a=\sqrt{\frac{{g01}^{2}}{g11}-g00}##, ##c=\frac{g01}{\sqrt{g11}}## and ##d=\sqrt{g11}##

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  8. Apr 11, 2013 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you familiar the coordinate basis [itex]\left\{ \partial / \partial x^\mu \right\}[/itex] associated with the coordinate system [itex]\left\{ x^\mu \right\}[/itex]?

9. Apr 18, 2013 #8
    Thanks for the example.

Actually I am trying to study the dirac equation in curved spacetime. Do you have example how to calculate the spin connection?

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook