Where Does the Gravitational Constant Come From?

• Thread starter NewDescartes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the Gravitational Constant is a fundamental physical constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between objects. It was first measured by Henry Cavendish using the tension line and weights experiment, and it is an essential part of Newton's gravitational formula. Newton himself did not measure it, but instead used equations with ratios to cancel out the constant. The value of the gravitational constant is approximately 6.67428 * 10^11 Newtons with units of Newton m^2 / kg^2.
NewDescartes
I was wondering where the Gravitational Constant comes from. As far as I know it has been measured with a tension line and weights. I also understand that Newton uses it his gravitational formula, but he didn't measure it. Did he just guess the number? Also is G the proportionality or distribution of gravity per kg?

Physics news on Phys.org
atyy said:
As for the other part of NewDescartes' question, it says here that Newton couldn't actually establish any good estimate for the value of the gravitational constant (and it says here that when calculating things like planetary orbits, Newton used equations 'with ratios so that the constant would cancel out'). So, the Cavendish experiment really was the first to give it a value.

So the gravitational constant is approx. 6.67428 * 10^11 Newtons??

By the way thanks for everything. I enjoy this immensely, even debates.

NewDescartes said:

To be picky, the units are Newton m^2 / kg^2.

NewDescartes said:

Don't forget the minus sign in the exponent.:wink:

According to the Constants section of PF's Latex Reference,

[tex]G\ =\ 6.673(10)\ \times\ 10^{-11}\ m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}[/tex]

I prefer the units representation given by jtbell much more though.

1. What is a constant in science?

A constant in science is a value that does not change in a particular experiment or situation. It is used to provide a baseline or reference point for comparison.

2. How is a constant different from a variable?

A constant is a value that does not change, while a variable is a factor that can change in an experiment. Constants are used to keep certain conditions consistent, while variables are used to measure the effects of changing conditions.

3. Can you provide an example of a constant in an experiment?

One example of a constant in an experiment could be the temperature of a room. If the temperature is kept constant throughout the experiment, it will not affect the results and can be used as a reference point for comparison.

4. How do constants affect the validity of an experiment?

Constants are important in ensuring the validity of an experiment because they help to control any outside factors that could influence the results. By keeping certain conditions constant, scientists can be more confident that any changes in the experiment are a result of the variables being tested.

5. Are constants always the same in every experiment?

No, constants can vary depending on the specific experiment and what factors are being tested. Some constants, such as gravity, are universal and remain the same in most experiments, while others may change depending on the specific conditions being studied.