1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About the Derivative

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x) = ln(sin(x))

find f'(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

I had a question about this problem. The answer on the website said that f'(x) = cot(x) or cos(x)/sin(x) but I disagreed.

I got d/du ln(u) = du/u so f'(x) = cos(x)/sin(x) * cos(x) << for the chain rule because of the derivative of the "inner" function. So my answer was cos^2(x)/sin(x).

Are they right or am I? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The chain rule is for some function of the form f(g(x)), df/dx = df/dg*dg/gx[/itex]. Here, g(x)=sin(x) and f(g)=ln(g). So, df/dg=1/g=1/sin(x) and dg/dx=cos(x). Putting these results together,

[tex]\frac d{dx} \ln(\sin x) = \frac 1 {\sin x} \cos x = \frac {\cos x}{\sin x} = \cot x[/tex]

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, you applied the chain rule twice when you shouldn't have!

The derivative of ln(sin(x)) is 1/sin(x) times the derivative of sin(x)= 1/sin(x) times cos(x)= cos(x)/sin(x)= cot(x). You had already put the cos(x) in the numerator, then multiplied by it again.

More formally, d(f(u))/dx= df/du * du/dx. Here, u= sin(x) so ln(sin(x))= ln(u) and its derivative is df/du= 1/u= 1/sin(x). Then you multiply by du/dx= cos(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?