Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question about the enthalpy of antimatter reactions

1. Dec 30, 2016 #1
    Unfortunately, my original post got moved to a forum where it's unlikely I'll get useful feedback. So, I'm reposting it here, again, and specifying with emphasis that I want help with the math.

So, here are the parameters:
    1. assume you have exactly one kilogram of antimatter
    2. assume the entire mass of antimatter uniformly consists of anti-Alpha particles (nuclei of 2 antiprotons and 2 antineutrons)
    3. assume this mass is contained in a vessel with an electromagnetic field powerful enough to suspend the total mass from coming into contact with any other matter
    4. assume that the vessel is equipped with an internal reaction chamber that has a source of normal Alpha particles, and that the vessel is continuously drawing Alphas and anti-Alphas into this chamber at a consistent rate
    5. assume the annihilation energy released in this reaction chamber is fully converted to electrical energy and used to power the electromagnetic field to contain the remaining mass
    So, with all that out of the way, two questions:
    1. how much energy in joules per second would be needed to maintain a containment field strong enough to maintain the repulsive forces necessary to keep the antimatter contained?
    2. based on that, what would the rate of consumption of stored antimatter in metric mass units per hour have to be to make that much energy?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted