Question about the expansion of the universe/inflation

• Thread starter TheIsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the universe is accepted to be expanding, but this does not necessarily mean it is expanding into something. The expansion is driven by the laws of gravity and is a result of an initial kick at the moment of the big bang. This inertia causes the universe to continue expanding. Other factors, such as dark energy and inflation, may also play a role but are not necessary to understand the expansion.
TheIsh
As far as I understand, it's accepted to say that the universe is expanding.
And I had some thoughts on this recently.
I think it was Michio Kaku who said that the dispersion pattern of planets, stars etc within the universe does not suggest an actual "explosion" in reference to the bang bang. Then i heard about inflation.

So here's my question:
For something to expand, don't the universe need something to "push" it from the inside or "fill" it? I saw a documentary where they used a large balloon to explain this. But it expands or inflated as it was, because air is pushing on it's insides. So what is pushing on the insides of the universe (assuming there is an outside).. Man i hate physics, so complicated :D

edit/ I believe i put this in the wrong section? If a mod could move it for me that would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
TheIsh said:
So here's my question:
For something to expand, don't the universe need something to "push" it from the inside or "fill" it? I saw a documentary where they used a large balloon to explain this. But it expands or inflated as it was, because air is pushing on it's insides. So what is pushing on the insides of the universe (assuming there is an outside).. Man i hate physics, so complicated :D

Yes, you've run across one of the difficulties with trying to use every day analogies to describe some of the more nuanced aspects of our universe! The balloon analogy is a good one, but you have to know what about it is true and what is not -- the expanding into something part falls under the category of not true.

If you like, you can imagine two ways in which an object could expand, either intrinsically or extrinsically. Normally, we think of objects expanding extrinsically, that is, with reference to some other object. We say the balloon has gotten twice as big, because we see that it is now twice as large as the balloon we haven't blown up. However, what if there is nothing else to compare the size of the balloon to? Well, it can still expand! This is rather the case of the universe. Mathematically, we have no trouble just describing it expanding without reference to anything else. Hence, there's no need for it to expand into anything at all!

Now, the expansion itself is driven by the laws of gravity. You can think of the expanding universe (for the most part) as being due to an initial kick. If you throw a ball up in the air, the ball continues to rise even though it has left your hand -- it has inertia. Similarly with the universe. It was given an initial kick (at the instant of the big bang), and has inertia in its expansion.

I'm ignoring dark energy and inflation to simplify the discussion, because I don't think they're relevant to what I'm trying to explain. Have I answered your question?

So it's the inertia following the big bang? Interesting :) thx

1. What is the theory of inflation?

The theory of inflation is a cosmological model that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in the first moments after the Big Bang. It proposes that the universe underwent a brief period of exponential expansion, causing it to grow from a subatomic size to its current vast size in a fraction of a second.

2. How does inflation help explain the uniformity of the universe?

Inflation is thought to have smoothed out any irregularities or fluctuations in the early universe, leading to the uniform distribution of matter and energy that we see today. This is known as the horizon problem, and inflation provides a solution by allowing different regions of the universe to become connected before expanding too far apart.

3. What evidence supports the theory of inflation?

There are several lines of evidence that support the theory of inflation, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the observed flatness of the universe, and the distribution of galaxies and galaxy clusters. The precise measurements of these phenomena align with the predictions made by the inflation model.

4. Can we observe the period of inflation directly?

No, we cannot observe the period of inflation directly, as it occurred in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang. However, scientists are able to study the remnants of the inflationary period through the cosmic microwave background radiation, which provides a snapshot of the universe at that time.

5. Are there any alternative theories to inflation?

Yes, there are alternative theories to inflation, such as the steady-state theory and the cyclic model. However, these theories have not been supported by the same level of evidence as inflation and do not provide the same level of explanation for the observed phenomena in the universe. Inflation remains the most widely accepted theory for the expansion of the universe.