Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the first supernova

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    Tycho Brahe observed the first supernova in 1572. My question is, did he name it. Everyone names the first new star or moon or whatever it be that they personally found. So did Brahe name his finding in the constellation Cassiopeia.

Thanks for you time

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2004 #2
    Actually, there have been unaided observable supernovae from Earth, averaging about one every hundred years, as long as there have been observers here. The Crab Nebula was one of them, recorded by the Chinese in 1033 AD.
  4. Mar 29, 2004 #3
    Chinesse did not call what we currently call supernova or supernovae but a "guest star" being it could be a comet or any other bright object in the sky. I know what you talk about the 600+day bright light in the sky but i thought the date was 1054. This as from what i understand was not confirmed as a supernova but a guess. The first actual recorded observation was Brahe. Key point being recorded and confirmed
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?