Question about the Moire Effect

• Thread starter loke137
  • Start date
In summary, the Moire effect is a visual phenomenon caused by the superposition of two similar patterns, resulting in the appearance of fringes. It can occur due to both light interference and the superposition of shadows. The pattern produced by the Moire effect can vary depending on the spacing of the patterns and the wavelength of the radiation being observed. For further information, the book "The Theory of the Moire Phenomenon" by Isaac Amidror is recommended.
loke137
Hello,

I am studying the Moire effect and I have a question about it: the appearance of fringes because of the superpostion of two grades is the effect of light interferance or simple the superpostion of shadows?
And does anyone know how can I go about to determine what will be the pattern given to grades? Thank you

loke137

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see the moire effect even with very large scale objects, such as two rows of regularly spaced trees, one behind the other, or railings on a bridge, so I don't think it is just an interference effect. On these large scale objects it is a shadow effect. Interference may come into play as the spacing of the gaps becomes smaller - approaching a few wavelengths of the radiation the moire effect is being observed with.

Thank you very much. Just for reference to whoever is looking at this thread, I found a nice book on this topic: The Theory of the Moire Phenomenon, by Isaac Amidror.

What is the Moire Effect?

The Moire Effect is a visual phenomenon that occurs when two patterns with slightly different frequencies or orientations are overlaid on top of each other, creating a third pattern with a new frequency or orientation.

What causes the Moire Effect?

The Moire Effect is caused by the interference between the two patterns, which creates a new pattern that is a combination of the two original patterns.

How is the Moire Effect used?

The Moire Effect is used in various applications, including art, photography, and security measures such as banknotes or identification cards. It can also be used in scientific experiments to measure small changes or distortions in patterns.

Can the Moire Effect be controlled?

Yes, the Moire Effect can be controlled by adjusting the frequencies or orientations of the two patterns. This can be achieved by changing the distance between the patterns, the size of the patterns, or the angle at which they are overlaid.

Does the Moire Effect have any practical applications?

Yes, the Moire Effect has many practical applications, such as creating interesting and unique patterns in artwork or aiding in the detection of counterfeit items. It is also used in scientific research to study the properties of materials and to create optical illusions in various media.