Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Moire Effect

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    Hello,

I am studying the Moire effect and I have a question about it: the appearance of fringes because of the superpostion of two grades is the effect of light interferance or simple the superpostion of shadows?
    And does anyone know how can I go about to determine what will be the pattern given to grades? Thank you

loke137

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2
    You can see the moire effect even with very large scale objects, such as two rows of regularly spaced trees, one behind the other, or railings on a bridge, so I don't think it is just an interference effect. On these large scale objects it is a shadow effect. Interference may come into play as the spacing of the gaps becomes smaller - approaching a few wavelengths of the radiation the moire effect is being observed with.

4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    Thank you very much. Just for reference to whoever is looking at this thread, I found a nice book on this topic: The Theory of the Moire Phenomenon, by Isaac Amidror.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?