Question about the Normal Force

In summary, two buckets of nails with a total mass of 10.0kg are pulled up to a roof by a rope with a tension of 60 N. To calculate the acceleration of the buckets, one must consider the forces acting on the lower bucket, which are the tension in the rope and the force of gravity. Using the equation a = Fnet/m, the acceleration of the buckets can be determined. The total mass is not needed in this situation, as the question only pertains to the lower bucket.
Ronel
Two buckets of nails are hung one above the other and are pulled up to a roof by a rope. Each bucket has a mass of 5.0kg. The tension in the rope connecting the buckets is 60 N. Calculate the acceleration of the buckets.

So here's what I did:

mt= ma + mb (m which is equal to mass)
mt= 5.0kg + 5.0kg
mt= 10.0 kg (total mass is 10.0kg)

Fnet= Fn + Fg
ma= Fn + mg

if i isolate the a it would be:

a= (Fn/m) + g

How do I find the Normal force to solve the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clue: forget about the upper bucket and just think about the forces and acceleration of the lower bucket.

haruspex said:
Clue: forget about the upper bucket and just think about the forces and acceleration of the lower bucket.
still don't get it please elaborate it

Make a force equation of the lower bucket. Which are the forces acting on it? Due to the string(tension)? due to earth? how is the net force on it related to its acceleration, then?

forcers that are acting on it are. Fn and Fg. I don't know what to do with the tension its a big question for me. Net force = ma

Fn in your post #5, IS the tension in the string...You should probably call it FT

Net force [tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex]

But, what is [tex]F_{net}[/tex] in terms of Fn and Fg??

remember, this is only for the lower bucket.

Oh thanks for the tension thing.
I think the Fnet is=T+mg ?

Ronel said:
Oh thanks for the tension thing.
I think the Fnet is=T+mg ?

But tension is acting upwards, mg is acting downwards, and Fnet, I'll leave to you. :wink:

Oh ok now i got it, is this right? Fnet= T-mg

Ronel said:
Oh ok now i got it, is this right? Fnet= T-mg

Yep. :approve:

Now use the relation with acceleration.

a= Fnet/m Ok i used the 5 kg and I got the answer. But I have one quick question how come I didnt use the total mass?

Thank You man ! :)

But I could also do this

Fnet=T-mg
ma=T-mg
when I isolate acceleration -->> a=Ft-(mg)/m Instead of a=Ft/m ( both correct)

Thank You so much man :smile:

Last edited:
Ronel said:
a= Fnet/m right? Ok i used the 5 kg and I got the answer.

Great! :biggrin:

But I have one quick question how come I didnt use the total mass?

Why would you use something when you don't need it? :wink: Its simply not necessary to use the total mass for the situation you are given.

But I could also do this

Fnet=T-mg
ma=T-mg
when I isolate acceleration -->> a=Ft-(mg)/m I still got the right answer

That basically is using a = Fnet/m :wink: You just jumbled with terms to get there, in this answer.

PS : Post such questions in homework section, next time!

Last edited:
Ronel said:
But I have one quick question how come I didnt use the total mass?
The total mass is distributed across two buckets. If you want an equation involving the total mass then you'll need to treat the two buckets as a unit. So then you want the net force on that unit. That will be sum of the two gravitational forces, downwards, against the tension in the string above the top bucket acting upwards. But you are not told the tension in that part of the string, so it doesn't get you far.
You can view the question as an exercise in figuring out which pieces of information are useful and which aren't.

haruspex said:
The total mass is distributed across two buckets. If you want an equation involving the total mass then you'll need to treat the two buckets as a unit. So then you want the net force on that unit. That will be sum of the two gravitational forces, downwards, against the tension in the string above the top bucket acting upwards. But you are not told the tension in that part of the string, so it doesn't get you far.
You can view the question as an exercise in figuring out which pieces of information are useful and which aren't.
Thank You so much :smile:

1. What is the normal force?

The normal force is a type of contact force that is exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts to prevent the object from passing through the surface.

2. How is the magnitude of the normal force determined?

The magnitude of the normal force is determined by the weight of the object and the angle of the surface it is in contact with. The normal force must be equal and opposite to the force of gravity acting on the object, which is determined by its mass.

3. Is the normal force always present?

Yes, the normal force is always present when an object is in contact with a surface. It is a reaction force to the force applied by the object on the surface due to gravity.

4. How does the normal force affect motion?

The normal force can affect an object's motion by providing a counteracting force to gravity, which can either support or limit the object's movement. For example, the normal force on a book resting on a table will keep it from falling through the table due to gravity.

5. Can the normal force change?

Yes, the normal force can change depending on the angle of the surface, the weight of the object, and any other external forces acting on the object. For example, the normal force on a person standing on an incline will decrease as the angle of the incline increases.