Question about the permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the polynomial P(x) of degree r having r roots in the complex numbers, represented as a product of terms and with coefficients dependent on the roots. The question is whether there is a shorthand notation for this expression, and the suggested notation is e_k(u_1,...,u_n) which refers to the elementary symmetric polynomials.
galoisjr
Ok, so obviously, given some polynomial P(x) of degree r, it has r roots in the complex numbers by the FTOA, and if these roots are u_1, u_2,... it can be written as

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
P(x) = (x - {u_1})(x - {u_2})(x - {u_3}) \cdots \\
P(x) = {x^r} - ({u_1} + {u_2} + {u_3} + \ldots ){x^{r - 1}} + ({u_1}{u_2} + {u_1}{u_3} + {u_2}{u_3}+ \ldots){x^{r - 2}} - ({u_1}{u_2}{u_3} + \ldots ){x^{r - 3}} + \ldots
\end{array}[/tex]

Obviously the coefficient of the r-n power is the sum over the permutations of the r roots taken n at a time.

My question is:

Is there a shorthand notation for referring to this in an equation, i.e. a combinatorial expression in terms of the discrete set of roots?

Obviously when talking about just plain numbers we can refer to the standard nCr and nPr formulas, but in this case we must view the set of roots as a discrete set of objects rather than numbers, hence my dilemma.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you

1. What are permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients?

Permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients refer to the various ways in which the roots of a polynomial can be arranged to form different equations. This can be useful in solving polynomial equations or understanding the behavior of the polynomial.

2. How do you find the permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients?

To find the permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients, you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra which states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots. These roots can then be arranged in different orders to form different equations.

3. What is the significance of permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients?

The significance of permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients lies in their ability to help us better understand the behavior of polynomials. By rearranging the roots, we can see how it affects the overall shape and graph of the polynomial, and how it relates to the coefficients of the equation.

4. Can all polynomials have permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients?

Yes, all polynomials of degree n have n permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients, as stated by the fundamental theorem of algebra. However, not all permutations may result in distinct equations or have any significant impact on the polynomial's behavior.

5. How can I use permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients in solving equations?

Permutations of roots as polynomial coefficients can be used in solving polynomial equations by manipulating the roots and coefficients to find a specific solution or to better understand the behavior of the equation. This can be especially useful in complex equations with multiple roots.