Divergence Theorem in Curvilinear Coordinates: Questions & Explanations

In summary: In equation (12), the metric coefficients end up inside the partial derivative because they are being differentiated with respect to the coordinate ##u##. So the derivative of ##h_v## with respect to ##u## is just ##\frac{\partial h_v}{\partial u}##, and the same applies for ##h_w##. In summary, when dealing with integrals over regions in curvilinear coordinates, the metric components need to be taken into account, and they can be treated as constants since they are assumed to be independent of the coordinate variables.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Prove the divergence theorem in curvilinear coordinates
Relevant Equations
Vector identities
Hi,

I was trying to gain an understanding of a proof of the divergence theorem in curvilinear coordinates. I have found these online notes here and am looking at the proof on pages 4-5. The method intuitively makes sense to me as opposed to other proofs which fiddle around with vector identities to get the required expression, however I have two main questions:

1) Why are they using lengths ## du ## instead of ## h_u du ##? I thought that in curvilinear coordinates, we would have something like this for the u-direction (I put my centre at the bottom left corner of the box):
$$ (v_u) \cdot (-h_v h_w dw dv) + (v_u + \frac{\partial v_u}{\partial u} (h_u du)) \cdot (h_v h_w dv dw) $$

Current thoughts on why I might be wrong:
- In the grad formula in curvilinear coordinates, each component includes a factor of the reciprocal of the metric coefficient. Should I be including that here? I.e. should I have ## \frac{1}{h_u} \frac{\partial}{\partial u} ## which would cancel out the ## h_u ##?

2) In equation (12), how did the metric coefficients ## h_v ## and ## h_w ## end up inside the partial derivative? From my expression above, the metric coefficients are outside the partial derivative. Given that each metric coefficients is, in a generalized sense, a function of the three variables ## u##, ## v##, and ## w##, then how can we treat ## h_v ## and ## h_w ## as constants and move them around?

I probably have some basic understanding errors and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached below are images from the notes:
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 4.47.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 4.47.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 4.47.31 PM.png

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks,The first thing to note is that in curvilinear coordinates, the length of a line element is given by the metric components:$$ ds^2 = h_u^2 du^2 + h_v^2 dv^2 + h_w^2 dw^2 $$So when you are dealing with an integral over a region, you need to take this into account. The reason they are using lengths ##du## instead of ##h_u du## is because they are actually integrating over a region in physical space, not in coordinate space. This means that the area of the region needs to be taken into account. In other words, if you were to map the region in physical space onto the coordinate space, then the area of the region in physical space would be different from the area of the region in coordinate space.For the second question, the metric coefficients are treated as constants because they are assumed to be independent of the variables ##u##, ##v##, and ##w##. In other words, the metric coefficients are assumed to be a function of the coordinates ##(u, v, w)## only, and not of any partial derivatives. Therefore, we can move them around freely.

1. What is the Divergence Theorem in Curvilinear Coordinates?

The Divergence Theorem in Curvilinear Coordinates is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume. In simpler terms, it states that the total amount of a vector quantity flowing out of a closed surface is equal to the sum of the sources of that quantity within the enclosed volume.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem derived in Curvilinear Coordinates?

The Divergence Theorem in Curvilinear Coordinates is derived using the concept of flux, which is the amount of a vector field passing through a given surface. By considering small volume elements and taking the limit as the volume elements approach zero, the theorem can be derived using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the definition of the divergence of a vector field.

3. What are the applications of the Divergence Theorem in Curvilinear Coordinates?

The Divergence Theorem in Curvilinear Coordinates has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of fluid mechanics and electromagnetism. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes, the electric flux through a closed surface, and the distribution of electric charge within a given volume.

4. Can the Divergence Theorem be used in all coordinate systems?

No, the Divergence Theorem is specific to curvilinear coordinate systems. It cannot be used in Cartesian coordinates, as the theorem relies on the concept of flux through a closed surface, which is not well-defined in Cartesian coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to the Divergence Theorem in Curvilinear Coordinates?

Yes, the Divergence Theorem has limitations when applied to non-conservative vector fields or surfaces with discontinuities. In these cases, the theorem may not hold true, and alternative methods must be used to calculate the flux or volume integral. Additionally, the theorem is only valid for closed surfaces, so it cannot be applied to open surfaces or surfaces with holes.