Proof of Lorentz Gauge Existence: Help Understanding Schutz 8.3

In summary, in Schutz 8.3, it is shown that a Lorentz gauge exists with the equation $$\bar h^{(new)}_{\mu\nu} = \bar h^{(old)}_{\mu\nu} - \xi_{\mu,\nu} - \xi_{\nu,\mu} + \eta_{\mu\nu}\xi^\alpha_{,\alpha}$$ where ##\bar h## is the trace reverse and ##\xi^\alpha## are the gauge functions. The divergence is then shown to be $$\bar h^{(new)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} = \bar h^{(old)\mu\n
epovo
TL;DR Summary
In the derivation of the proof there is a step that I cannot make sense of
In Schutz 8.3, while proving that a Lorentz gauge exists, it is stated that
$$\bar h^{(new)}_{\mu\nu} = \bar h^{(old)}_{\mu\nu} - \xi_{\mu,\nu} - \xi_{\nu,\mu} + \eta_{\mu\nu}\xi^\alpha_{,\alpha}$$

where ##\bar h## is the trace reverse and ##\xi^\alpha## are the gauge functions. Then it follows with:
"Then the divergence is"
$$\bar h^{(new)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} = \bar h^{(old)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} - \xi^{\mu,\nu}_{\,\,\,,\nu}$$
I can't see why the divergence is that! I've tried and tried but I can't see it. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
epovo said:
I can't see why the divergence is that! I've tried and tried but I can't see it. Any help?
$$-\xi^{\nu,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\nu} + \eta^{\mu\nu} \xi^{\alpha}_{\,\,\,,\alpha \nu} = -\xi^{\nu,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\nu} + \xi^{\alpha,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\alpha} = 0,$$
since ##\alpha## and ##\nu## are both dummy summation indices.

Likes epovo and vanhees71
True! Thank you

Likes vanhees71