Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question about the Stern-Gerlach Expirement

1. Jul 29, 2003 #1
    If Fz changes according to &muzdB/dz and the silver atoms are collimated into a beam how does the dipole magnetic moment of the atoms see and change in the B-field if the beam is cutting across the B-field perpendicularly?

How does a changing B-field, in the verticle direction affect the Ag atoms? It seems to me the B-field wouldn't affect the atoms.

I hope I'm making sense, let me know if you need me to restate to be clearer, I hope other have faced this question as I am.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you just answered your own question. The force on the atom is, as you say, Fz=μz(dB/dz). All of those quantities are nonzero, so there is a force.

I'm not sure of why you are having trouble, so I think you will have to explain.

4. Jul 29, 2003 #3
    I'll have to think about it further...

Why does the B-field need to change in the z direction to impart a deflection on the Ag atoms? I haven't quite grasped that concept, maybe my B-field knowledge is a little rusty?

5. Jul 29, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's how B-fields interact with dipole moments. I think part of your difficulty here might be that you expect magnetic dipoles and B-fields to interact in the same way as electric charges and E-fields, which is not the case.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook