1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Stern-Gerlach Expirement

1. Jul 29, 2003 #1
    If Fz changes according to &muzdB/dz and the silver atoms are collimated into a beam how does the dipole magnetic moment of the atoms see and change in the B-field if the beam is cutting across the B-field perpendicularly?

How does a changing B-field, in the verticle direction affect the Ag atoms? It seems to me the B-field wouldn't affect the atoms.

I hope I'm making sense, let me know if you need me to restate to be clearer, I hope other have faced this question as I am.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you just answered your own question. The force on the atom is, as you say, Fz=μz(dB/dz). All of those quantities are nonzero, so there is a force.

I'm not sure of why you are having trouble, so I think you will have to explain.

4. Jul 29, 2003 #3
    I'll have to think about it further...

Why does the B-field need to change in the z direction to impart a deflection on the Ag atoms? I haven't quite grasped that concept, maybe my B-field knowledge is a little rusty?

5. Jul 29, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's how B-fields interact with dipole moments. I think part of your difficulty here might be that you expect magnetic dipoles and B-fields to interact in the same way as electric charges and E-fields, which is not the case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?