Question about this situation with two point charges +Q and -Q

In summary, the question is whether the magnitude of the net electric force on a charge +Q is the same when there is another charge -Q a distance x away from +Q, with a neutral metal rod between them, as it is when there is no rod and just a distance x between the charges. There may be special cases when this is not true, depending on the distribution of charge on the neutral rod. One suggestion is to use Coulomb's law and replace the dielectric constant. Another suggestion is that the distribution of charge throughout the metal rod is not uniform and could affect the net force. However, it is unclear if the rod is touching the charges or not.
Theelectricchild
Would the magnitude of the net electric force on a charge +Q in a case where there is another charge -Q a distance x away from +Q be equal to the force on +Q by -Q in a case where there is a neutral metal rod between them? (and same distance x away from each other)

I would be inclined to say that there would be NO difference, that is, the net force would be equal in both cases, but the question seems deceptively easy--- can i confirm this, and are there special cases when this is not true?

I should note that the problem does not state how the charge is distributed on the neutral rod, that is, if the positive charges are on one side (IE left has the positive and the negative charges are on the right side--- and having an equal amount would make the rod neutral)--- I know metal is a conductor--- would that mean that the charge is distributed uniformly even in a neutral state?

I am quite new to electricity in general so please ask for clarification if something didnt make sense!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use coulomb's law

use coulomb's law and just replace the dielectric constant!

Hi thanks for your response, but could you please explain that a bit? Replace it with what?

Heres my reasoning now that I've thought it over a bit longer:

Wont the negative charge that is in the metal rod wish to "come closer" to the positve Q charge while the positive charge in the metal rod comes closer to the -Q charge? IE the distribution of charge throughout the metal rod is not uniform--- and thus would play a role in showing that the force between Q and -Q would be greater in this case?

Thanks for your help.

I just constantly have a gloomy cloud over my head :(

oh well thanks for your help anyway

As I see it, if you have 1 plus charge and 1 minus charge, you'll have an electric field between them. If you place a metal rod between them, then the plus charges of the rod will be pulled towards the - charge and the negative charges of the rod will go the opposite way. You'll have one end of the rod with + charge and the other with - charges. That will affect the net force on the Q charge

Greetings
Javier

Does the metal rod touch the charges?

I suspect that the rod charges separate as you say ( meaning electrons will accumualte at one side ), if the rod was a plate ( easiesr to think about) then if it was thin there would be no net field disturbance , but if it was thick then it reduces the effective q1/q2 distance -- field lines must be perpendicular to the plate.
You could graph that by splitting the field q1/q2 down the middle and moving thm apart.Ray

1. What is the force between two point charges +Q and -Q?

The force between two point charges can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for the force is F = (k * Q1 * Q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q1 and Q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How does the distance between the two charges affect the force between them?

The distance between the two charges has an inverse relationship with the force between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

3. Can two point charges with the same magnitude and sign repel each other?

Yes, two point charges with the same magnitude and sign will repel each other. This is because like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. In this situation, both charges have the same sign, so they will experience a repulsive force.

4. What is the direction of the force between two point charges?

The direction of the force between two point charges depends on the signs of the charges. If the two charges have the same sign, the force is repulsive and acts away from the charges. On the other hand, if the two charges have opposite signs, the force is attractive and acts towards the charges.

5. Can the force between two point charges be zero?

Yes, the force between two point charges can be zero. This happens when the two charges have equal magnitudes and opposite signs, resulting in a net force of zero. This situation is called an electrically neutral system, where the positive and negative charges cancel out each other's effects.