Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about time

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    I am teaching myself physics and thought about this question. it has something to do with relitivity im sure but havent been able to find it anywhere. my question is

if everything in the universe suddenly stoped haveing no movement at all except a clock for example. would the clock have time or would the universe still have time because this clock still ticks? if only the clock existed in time what happens if it makes something else move?

my question may be off but i got the just of it down. u can reword it to make my question more accurate. any help or awnser to my question would be apreaciated.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2
    All matter is composed of particles that are continuously in motion and cannot stop completely. That goes with existence itself.

To "have time" is not a regular concept that other people have heard of before.

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    Look up reference frame. You cannot say that something is at rest. Only at rest to something else. So if nothing moves then this is only in one reference frame. There is nothing physically special about this and time goes on as normal (except that you have just set all physical laws out of effect by forcing things not to move, and made quantum mechanics explode).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook