Question about titanium tetrachloride

Why is it that a Greek prefix is used to name TiCl4? Shouldn't it just be titanium chloride? I thought using Greek prefixes was only for molecular compounds and hydrates... :confused:

Answers and Replies

chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You are right; but please bear in mind that there are no 100% ionic and 100% covalent compound; titanium(IV) chloride as well as tin(IV) chloride, contain highly covalent bonding. We don't use these Greek prefixes for greatly ionic compounds like CaCl2. I think it makes some sense now.

I see. So are Greek prefixes generally used to name covalent compounds? Or is titanium(IV) chloride an exception?

A reason might be that titanium has multiple oxidation states, while calcium does not.

chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They are not intended to be used in this sense, but there is a correct point in using these nomenclature. Titanium(IV) chloride and tin(IV) chloride, along with lead(IV) chloride contain a considerable ratio of covalent bonding, so you may use Greek prefixes for them. Chemistry is a flexible thing... I want to say that both are correct in their perspectives.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
so-crates said:
A reason might be that titanium has multiple oxidation states, while calcium does not.
I too think this is important.

chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that increasing oxidation number seems to increase the tendency of the ratio of covalent bonding.

movies
Science Advisor
In organic chemistry this reagent is usually referred to as titanium tetrachloride. I suppose that isn't the correct IUPAC name, but that's what you hear. TiCl3 is also a common reagent, so it's important to differentiate the two.

GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Elements at the extreme ends tend to possess more specific oxidation states, particularly when they interact with each other (metal and nonmetal). From what I remember, the transition state elements tend to occupy charge differences in integers (1+,2+) while any of the known existing variations in oxidations states of nonmetals usually differ by even values (0,2-,4-). Not quite sure the reason for this at this time, its probably related to the nature of forming stable compounds with other elements; that is it depends somewhat on the "other" element, related to the electrostatic limitations of exactly how they can bond (i.e. covalent) and interact and the valencies of a particular element.

movies said:
In organic chemistry this reagent is usually referred to as titanium tetrachloride.

I would call it sloppy chemistry, but it was explained to me in organic that organic chemistry uses many sloppy chemistry practices because it makes life easier. It's true that the bonds in TiCl4 are more covalent, that would be a good reason for the practice, however I believe the real reason is simply lazyness. And sometimes it's good to be lazy.

where I work we simply refer to the stuff as tickle.