Question about titanium tetrachloride

• Thread starter IntellectIsStrength
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titanium
In summary, the use of Greek prefixes in naming compounds, particularly titanium tetrachloride, is due to its tetravalent nature and its highly covalent bonding. This naming practice is not generally used for ionic compounds like calcium chloride, but is applicable to compounds with a considerable ratio of covalent bonding. In organic chemistry, titanium tetrachloride is commonly referred to as "tickle." This practice is considered "sloppy chemistry" but is used for convenience. The oxidation states of elements also play a role in determining the use of Greek prefixes in compound names.
IntellectIsStrength
Why is it that a Greek prefix is used to name TiCl4? Shouldn't it just be titanium chloride? I thought using Greek prefixes was only for molecular compounds and hydrates... :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are right; but please bear in mind that there are no 100% ionic and 100% covalent compound; titanium(IV) chloride as well as tin(IV) chloride, contain highly covalent bonding. We don't use these Greek prefixes for greatly ionic compounds like CaCl2. I think it makes some sense now.

I see. So are Greek prefixes generally used to name covalent compounds? Or is titanium(IV) chloride an exception?

A reason might be that titanium has multiple oxidation states, while calcium does not.

They are not intended to be used in this sense, but there is a correct point in using these nomenclature. Titanium(IV) chloride and tin(IV) chloride, along with lead(IV) chloride contain a considerable ratio of covalent bonding, so you may use Greek prefixes for them. Chemistry is a flexible thing... I want to say that both are correct in their perspectives.

so-crates said:
A reason might be that titanium has multiple oxidation states, while calcium does not.
I too think this is important.

I think that increasing oxidation number seems to increase the tendency of the ratio of covalent bonding.

In organic chemistry this reagent is usually referred to as titanium tetrachloride. I suppose that isn't the correct IUPAC name, but that's what you hear. TiCl3 is also a common reagent, so it's important to differentiate the two.

Elements at the extreme ends tend to possesses more specific oxidation states, particularly when they interact with each other (metal and nonmetal). From what I remember, the transition state elements tend to occupy charge differences in integers (1+,2+) while any of the known existing variations in oxidations states of nonmetals usually differ by even values (0,2-,4-). Not quite sure the reason for this at this time, its probably related to the nature of forming stable compounds with other elements; that is it depends somewhat on the "other" element, related to the electrostatic limitations of exactly how they can bond (i.e. covalent) and interact and the valencies of a particular element.

Last edited:
movies said:
In organic chemistry this reagent is usually referred to as titanium tetrachloride.

I would call it sloppy chemistry, but it was explained to me in organic that organic chemistry uses many sloppy chemistry practices because it makes life easier. It's true that the bonds in TiCl4 are more covalent, that would be a good reason for the practice, however I believe the real reason is simply lazyness. And sometimes it's good to be lazy.

where I work we simply refer to the stuff as tickle.

What is titanium tetrachloride?

Titanium tetrachloride is a chemical compound with the formula TiCl4. It is a colorless liquid at room temperature and is commonly used in the production of titanium metal.

What are the properties of titanium tetrachloride?

Titanium tetrachloride is a highly reactive and corrosive compound. It has a strong odor and can irritate the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. It has a high boiling point and is soluble in certain organic solvents.

What are the uses of titanium tetrachloride?

Titanium tetrachloride is primarily used in the production of titanium metal. It is also used as a catalyst in various chemical reactions, and as a precursor for other titanium compounds. It has some applications in the production of plastics and pigments as well.

What are the safety precautions for handling titanium tetrachloride?

Titanium tetrachloride should be handled with extreme caution as it is corrosive and can cause burns. It should be stored in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated area, and proper protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator should be worn when handling it.

Is titanium tetrachloride harmful to the environment?

Titanium tetrachloride can be harmful to the environment if it is released in large quantities. It is important to properly dispose of any waste containing this compound and to prevent it from contaminating water sources. In small amounts, it is not considered a significant environmental hazard.