1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about torque

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1
    If the big grey box is one tonne, and the pivot, the small white circle has a diameter of 1 meter, how do I calculate the torque needed to turn it 360 degrees? Do i just use T=FD? but then I don't have the acceleration.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If there's no gravity any torque, no matter how small, would work. If there is gravity, then the applied torque must be sufficient to overcome whatever torque gravity might be applying as the box moves.

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question cannot be answered as posed.

Two things to consider...

If there is gravity acting downwards the static torque required will be at a max when the thing has turned 90 degrees. You need to know the dimensions of the grey rectangle to calculate that.

Does it start from a stationary position? If so additional torque is required to accelerate it. How fast must it rotate? At what point in the rotation will the acceleration be at a maximum? Look up moment of inertia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted