Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about tourists that give correct answers and wrong answers.

1. Aug 25, 2005 #1
    Can someone help me with this question ?

You are lost in the National Park of Bandrika. Tourists comprise two-thirds of the visitors to the park, and give a correct answer to request for directions with probability 3/4. (Answers to repeated questions are independent, even if the question and the person are the same). If you ask a Bandrikan for directions, the answer is always false.

(a) You ask a passer-by whether the exit from the park is East or West. The answer is East. What is the probability that is correct ?

(b) You ask the same person again, and receive the same reply. Show the probability that it is correct is 1/2.

(c) You ask the same person again, and receive the same reply. What is the probability that is correct ?

(d) You ask for the fourth time, and receive the answer East. Show that the probability it is correct is 27/70.

(e) Show that, had the fourth answer been West instead, the probability that that East is nevertheless correct is 9/10.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, arent the Bandrikans nasty!

There is, according to this, a 2/3 chance that the person you asked is a tourist. If that is true, the probability that they answer correctly is 3/4. Probability that the person you ask is a tourist and answers correctly is (2/3)(3/4)= 1/2. Strictly speaking, we should now add the probability that the person asked is a Bandrikan and they answer correctly but the probabilty of that is (1/3)(0)= 0. The probability of getting a correct answer is 1/2.

I don't understand this! Why would we expect the person, whether tourist or Bandrikan, to give a different answer? We are told that the probability that the tourist will answer correctly is 3/4 but I wouldn't assume that two answers in a row are independent! If the tourist believed, rightly or wrongly, that the exit was East and told you that the first time, why wouldn't he/she answer the same the second time? In any case, the answer is exactly what it was in (a): 1/2!

On the other hand, IF we are to assume that the tourist is answering at random, with probability of being right 3/4 each time, independently of any previous answer (which seems to me a very strange assumption), then I would argue that the probability of a tourist being correct two times in a row is (3/4)(3/4)= 9/16 and the probability of a tourist being wrong two times in a row is (1/4)(1/4)= 1/16. The probability of a tourist being correct two times in a row given that they gave the same answer two times in a row, is (9/16)/(9/16+ 1/16)= (9/16)(16/10)= 9/10. The probability of asking a tourist and getting the correct answer two times in a row (under these hypotheses) is (9/10)(2/3)= 3/5, NOT 1/2!

A third time? I would have to answer 1/2 again because, again, I see no reason for either tourist or Bandrikan to change his/her answer!

IF we are to assume that the tourist is answering at random, with probability of being right 3/4 each time, independently of any previous answer, then I would argue that there was a (2/3) chance that the person we asked was a tourist and, each time, there was a 3/4 chance of getting a correct answer: The probability that a tourist answers correctly 3 times in a row is (3/4)(3/4)(3/4)= 27/64 and the probability that a tourist answer incorrectly 3 times in a row is (1/4)(1/4)(1/4)= 1/64. The probability that a tourist answers correctly three times in a row given that they answer the same three times in a row is (27/64)/((27/64)+ (1/64))= (27/64)(64/28)= 27/28. The probability that the person you ask is a tourist and answer correctly three times in a row would be (2/3)(27/28)= 9/14.

This is getting ridiculous! How dumb do they think the tourists are? If I were the tourist and you asked me the same question 4 times in a row, I would punch you in the nose! My answer would still be 1/2, not 27/70!!!
    But: probability that the tourist, answering randomly, gets the question right 4 times in a row is (3/4)4= 81/256 and the answer that the tourist gets the question wrong 4 times in a row is (1/4)4= 1/256.
    The probability that the tourist gets the question right 4 times in a row given that they answered the same way 4 times in a row is (81/256)/((81/256)+ (1/256))= (81/256)(256/82)= 81/82. The probability that you asked a tourist and he/she answered correctly 4 times in a row is (2/3)(81/82)= 27/41, not 27/70!

Oh, I give up!

4. Aug 30, 2005 #3
    It looks like if you ask the same person more than once, then you have to change the probability they are a Bandrikan or a tourist based on the sequence of answers. If you get a sequence of the same answers then the likelihood that you are talking to a Bandrikan increases. Conversely if you get a different answer then you must be talking to a Tourist. To work this out you need Bayes Rule, which is explained in http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~norman/BBNs/Bayes_rule.htm

5. Jun 18, 2010 #4
    Hey, it is a very very old post, but I am stuck at it due to the hilarious topic. Can you us some more data on the Bandrikans? Who are they, where do they live?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?