1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about uncertainties

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A glider moves on a level (horizontal) air track. The motion detector records five velocities of the glider: 0.48 m/s, 0.48 m/s, 0.53 m/s, 0.48 m/s, 0.47 m/s. The average velocity, uncertainty in the velocity, and relative uncertainty are

2. Relevant equations
    Avg velocity= V1+V2+V3+V4+V5/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the average velocity I used the above equation and got 0.488. For the uncertainty in the velocity I did 0.53-0.47/2 to get plus or minus 3, but I'm not sure if that is right. I have no idea on how find the relative uncertainty

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2
    Ok so I just read that relative uncertainty is found by percent uncertainty in velocity/ avg value. Correct? but when I use that my answer is'nt one of my choices. So is there something wrong I did when finding the percent uncertainty in the velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook