Is Quantum Randomness Really Random?

• Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of randomness and its application in quantum phenomena. The comparison is made to the tossing of a coin and the possibility of predicting the outcome if all the factors were known. The concept of uncertainty in quantum mechanics is also mentioned, with a suggestion to search for more information on superposition and the measurement problem.
Bladibla
I did not ask this query, but i found it quite interesting. (foreign wind gets credit for this..)

By definition random events are unpredictable.
Consider the tossing of a coin. It is considered a random event. But if you could know the exact initial position of the coin in the exact moment of the tossing, the forces applied on it, the air resistance, air speed and direction, gravity force, etc then you could predict the result ( head or tail ).

Physicists use to say the quantum phenomena are random. But are they really random or like in the coin example, you could determine the outcome if you could know all the factors that intervene in a quantum event ?

What would be your replies to this?
For people in the UK, This question was raised on the event of watching the doc series 'Horizon'

Physics news on Phys.org
Bladibla said:
I did not ask this query, but i found it quite interesting. (foreign wind gets credit for this..)

What would be your replies to this?
For people in the UK, This question was raised on the event of watching the doc series 'Horizon'

Note that what you are asking is NOT "uncertainty", a word in which, in QM, automatically means the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP). What you are asking is the apparent "measurement problem" of QM in which a definite outcome appears out of a superposition of many different outcomes.

You may want to do a search on PF on "Schrodinger Cat", "superposition", etc. I know for a fact that I have written several responses on why QM's "randomness" is NOT the same as a coin-tossing randomness.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Note that what you are asking is NOT "uncertainty", a word in which, in QM, automatically means the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP). What you are asking is the apparent "measurement problem" of QM in which a definite outcome appears out of a superposition of many different outcomes.

You may want to do a search on PF on "Schrodinger Cat", "superposition", etc. I know for a fact that I have written several responses on why QM's "randomness" is NOT the same as a coin-tossing randomness.

Zz.

My apologies for the misleading title. And more apologies for not searching..
You can lock this thread if you want to.

1. What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty refers to a lack of knowledge or information about a particular situation or outcome. It can also refer to a lack of confidence or predictability in a measurement or calculation.

2. How is uncertainty measured?

Uncertainty can be measured using various statistical methods, such as standard deviation, confidence intervals, and error bars. It can also be quantified using mathematical models or simulations.

3. What causes uncertainty in scientific research?

Uncertainty in scientific research can be caused by a variety of factors, such as limitations in measurement tools, variability in experimental conditions, and the inherent complexity of natural systems. It can also be influenced by human error or bias.

4. How do scientists deal with uncertainty in their research?

Scientists use various strategies to address uncertainty in their research, such as repeated experiments, using multiple methods, and acknowledging and quantifying potential sources of error. They also conduct sensitivity analyses and communicate the level of uncertainty in their findings.

5. Why is uncertainty important in science?

Uncertainty is an essential aspect of science as it reflects the limitations of our knowledge and understanding. It also highlights the need for further research and drives the development of improved methods and techniques. Acknowledging and addressing uncertainty helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific findings.