Question about understanding something in laurent series

So, in summary, you can obtain the Laurent series for a rational function by writing it as a sum of the Laurent series for its partial fractions, which can be obtained by dividing the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor.
Genericcoder
So the question I got the represention for both partial fractions after I broke the functions into two partial fraction one I got as 1/3(z + 1) + 2/3(z - 2) and I got laurent series represention for both but I was wondering for |z| < 1 how can they both converge for |z| < 1 are we acctually minusing both series from each other when we did that ? but when I got second series representation for second partial fraction I got - so that's how I understood since we are minusing |z| < 2 from |z| < 1 we get back to |z| < 1 I don't know if my intuition here is correct or wrong. but what if for second partial fraction we get a positive instead of a negative maybe here the negative that we got was by luck or something.

Attachments

• complexoo.jpg
    complexoo.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition is correct. The Laurent series for a rational function can be written as a sum of the Laurent series for its partial fractions. To obtain the Laurent series for the partial fraction, you divide the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor, then obtain the coefficients of the partial fraction by solving a linear system of equations. In your example, the partial fractions are $\frac{1}{3(z+1)} + \frac{2}{3(z-2)}$. When you obtain the coefficients of these partial fractions, you will get $1/3$ and $2/3$, respectively. Then, you can calculate the Laurent series for each partial fraction separately. For the first one, you have$$\frac{1}{3(z+1)} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{3^{n+1}}z^n.$$For the second one, you have$$\frac{2}{3(z-2)} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{2(-1)^n}{3^{n+1}}(z-2)^n.$$Finally, adding the two Laurent series together, you get$$\frac{1}{3(z+1)} + \frac{2}{3(z-2)} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(-1)^n}{3^{n+1}}z^n + \frac{2(-1)^n}{3^{n+1}}(z-2)^n\right).$$For $|z|<1$, this series converges since both series for the partial fractions individually converge for that region.

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical representation of a complex function in the form of an infinite sum of terms, including both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is used to expand a function into a power series around a point in the complex plane.

2. How is a Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes non-negative powers of the variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. This allows for the representation of functions with poles or branch points.

3. What is the purpose of using a Laurent series?

Laurent series are often used in complex analysis to study functions that have singularities, such as poles or branch points. They can also be used to approximate functions and perform calculations in the complex plane.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a Laurent series?

The convergence of a Laurent series depends on the values of the coefficients and the radius of convergence, which is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest singularity. If the radius of convergence is finite, the series will converge within that radius. If the radius of convergence is infinite, the series will converge for all values of the variable.

5. Can a function be represented by multiple Laurent series?

Yes, a function can have multiple Laurent series representations, each centered around a different point in the complex plane. These representations may converge in different regions and can provide different insights into the behavior of the function.