Question about unit conversion

In summary, the conversation is about converting a density of .15Mo/pc^3 to grams per cubic centimeter. The individual asking the question suggests multiplying .15 by the solar mass (1.9e33g) and dividing by pc^3 (3e18 cm) to get the answer. The other person confirms this is correct and explains how to handle unit conversions in dimensional analysis.
leonne

Homework Statement

I am giving .15Mo/pc^3 how can i convert that into g/cm^3
mo is solar mass and its in grams and pc is distance so its in cm so wht would i do to convert it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

would i just mutiply .15 by the solarmass(1.9e33g) than divide by pc^3 which is (3e18 cm)
so would i do .15((1.9e33/(3e18^3) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi leonne! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
leonne said:
would i just mutiply .15 by the solarmass(1.9e33g) than divide by pc^3 which is (3e18 cm)
so would i do .15((1.9e33/(3e18^3) ?

i assume you mean .15((1.9e33/(3e18)^3) ? :wink:

yes, that's correct …

in dimensions questions like this, you use the conversion factor to the same power as the unit appears it the formula :smile:

(if it makes you happier, you can check it by writing 1 Mo/pc3 = 1 (Mo/g) (cm/pc)3 g/cm3 :wink:)

will do... k thxs for the reply

1. What is unit conversion?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a value from one unit of measurement to another. This is typically done to make calculations or comparisons easier.

2. Why is unit conversion important?

Unit conversion is important because different countries and industries may use different units of measurement, and it is necessary to be able to convert between them accurately. It is also important in scientific experiments and calculations to use the correct units to ensure accurate results.

3. How do you convert units?

To convert units, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. This can be found in conversion tables or calculated using conversion formulas. To convert, multiply the original value by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

4. What are some common units of measurement?

Common units of measurement include length (meters, feet, inches), weight (kilograms, pounds, ounces), volume (liters, gallons, cubic feet), and time (seconds, minutes, hours). There are many other units for specific measurements, such as temperature (Celsius, Fahrenheit) and speed (miles per hour, kilometers per hour).

5. How can unit conversion be helpful in everyday life?

Unit conversion can be helpful in everyday life when traveling to different countries that use different units of measurement. It can also be useful when cooking or baking, as different recipes may use different units for measurements. Additionally, understanding unit conversion can help in making informed decisions when shopping and comparing prices of products in different sizes or units.