1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Units

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1
    I solved the problem, but I can't get the right unit for the answer.

A Carnot engine whose low-temperature reservoir is at 16°C has an efficiency of 31%. By how much should the temperature of the high-temperature reservoir be increased to increase the efficiency to 70%?

My numerical answer is 544.8. I tried Kelvin first - the most obvious choice - but that was wrong. Then I tried celcius and J/K.

I tried to work it out but I have no earthly idea - the other choices include:
    - C0 (like the celcius sign but the circle is after the C)
    -J/kg*K
    -J/mol*K and
    -kJ/kg

Any help would be grately appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to use Kelvin for temperature in thermodynamics. I get 544.5 K as the increase (from 418.8 K to 963.33 K)

AM

4. Jun 22, 2006 #3
    Well...the thing is, I did use Kelvin. That was my first choice, but it was wrong. Any other sound possibilities?

5. Jun 22, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mind you, this temperature difference is also 544.5 degrees Celsius. It is just that you have to work out the thermodynamics part in K and then convert back to Celsius.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?