Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Vector Planes

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to follow an introductory problem in my book for which no solutions are provided and have got stuck. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how to go about this problem and where I am going wrong.

The problem starts:

Consider the eqquations:
    [tex]y_1= x_1+2x_2[/tex]
    [tex]y_2=3x_2[/tex]

We can view these equations as describing a transformation of the vector x = [itex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1\\x_2\end{bmatrix}[/itex] into the vector y = [itex]\begin{bmatrix}y_1\\y_2\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

The transformation can be re-written as:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}y_1\\y_2\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2\\0 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1\\x_2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Or, more succinctly, y=Fx

Problem 1: Compute Fx For the following vectors x:

a) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] b) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}1\\-1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] c) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\-1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] d) x=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

My Results:

a) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}3\\3\end{bmatrix}[/itex] b) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\-3\end{bmatrix}[/itex] c) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-3\\-3\end{bmatrix}[/itex] a) Fx=[itex]\begin{bmatrix}-1\\3\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

This is where I am unsure. The next step says "The heads of the four vectors x in problem 1 locate the four corners of a square in the [itex]x_1x_2[/itex] plane."

I'm not sure I understand this: what does the " [itex]x_1x_2[/itex] plane" mean? I would have thought it means a plane in which [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the axes... But I can't see how this can work as [itex]x_1[/itex] just consists of the points 3, -1,-3 and 1 on the x axis, as far as I can see...

I'd be very grateful if anyone could indicate where I'm going wrong..!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2
    [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] refer to your original vectors. The 4 points are [itex](\pm 1, \pm 1)[/itex]; these are the corners of a square.

4. Apr 16, 2014 #3
    OK, thanks Chogg...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook