1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Vectors and how the change in direction from the wind affects it.

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    (The National Hockey League has closed its doors. This is the best we can do for sport.)

I suggest that you make East the x-axis and North the y-axis. Neither axis is up or down, both are along the ground.

Allan is skating East on a flat ice rink at 4.0 m/s. The wind is blowing constantly towards North East (at 45 degrees between North and East) and accelerates Allan in the same direction with a magnitude of 1.0 m/s2. If Allan starts at the origin at time t1=0, where will he be at t2, 10. seconds later?

I am looking for a little guidance on this question, i have attempted it a few times but as of yet, I don't even know if i am on the right track, If someone could just send me on the right track i would greatly appreciated it.

I had made the diagram of how the wind had affected the original path of Allan, and i believe i need to calculate a final velocity before i can use time to determine his position, I tried to do it through for the x direction vicos(45) which came out to be 2.83m/s then i added 4.0m/s to get a total of 6.83m/s and a total distance of 68.3m in the x direction. Although i do not believe this is right.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted