Question about Vectors and how the change in direction from the wind affects it.

In summary, Allan will be 139 meters away from the origin at t2, 10 seconds later, after starting at the origin and skating East at 4.0 m/s with a constant wind blowing towards North East at 1.0 m/s2. This is calculated by using the equation of motion and taking into account the change in velocity and time to determine the final velocity and displacement in both the East and North East directions.
McWilliams
(The National Hockey League has closed its doors. This is the best we can do for sport.)

I suggest that you make East the x-axis and North the y-axis. Neither axis is up or down, both are along the ground.

Allan is skating East on a flat ice rink at 4.0 m/s. The wind is blowing constantly towards North East (at 45 degrees between North and East) and accelerates Allan in the same direction with a magnitude of 1.0 m/s2. If Allan starts at the origin at time t1=0, where will he be at t2, 10. seconds later?

I am looking for a little guidance on this question, i have attempted it a few times but as of yet, I don't even know if i am on the right track, If someone could just send me on the right track i would greatly appreciated it.

I had made the diagram of how the wind had affected the original path of Allan, and i believe i need to calculate a final velocity before i can use time to determine his position, I tried to do it through for the x direction vicos(45) which came out to be 2.83m/s then i added 4.0m/s to get a total of 6.83m/s and a total distance of 68.3m in the x direction. Although i do not believe this is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer this question, you should use the equation of motion, which states that the change in velocity (Δv) is equal to the acceleration (a) multiplied by the time (t). In this case, the acceleration is 1.0 m/s2, and the time is 10 seconds. This means that the change in velocity is 10 m/s. The initial velocity was 4.0 m/s, so the final velocity is 14.0 m/s, with a component of 6.83 m/s in the East direction and 7.07 m/s in the North East direction. Using this final velocity, you can then calculate the displacement in both the East and North East directions by multiplying the velocity by the time again. The displacement for the East direction would be 68.3 m and for the North East direction it would be 70.7 m. Adding these two displacements together gives you the total displacement from the origin, which would be 139 m.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. How does the change in direction from the wind affect a vector?

The change in direction from the wind affects a vector by altering its direction but not its magnitude. This means that the vector will still have the same size or strength, but its direction will change depending on the direction of the wind.

3. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

Yes, a vector can have a negative magnitude. This signifies that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of its original direction.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars are temperature, time, and mass, while examples of vectors are velocity, force, and displacement.

5. How can we represent a vector graphically?

A vector can be represented graphically by drawing an arrow starting from a point and pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude. The starting point of the arrow is called the tail, and the end point is called the head.