Understanding and Operating on 1/|x| in Spherical Coordinates: A Guide

• Thread starter anchovie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to describe points in three-dimensional space, involving two angles and a distance from a fixed origin point. Understanding and operating on 1/|x| in spherical coordinates is important for solving problems involving inverse-square laws, and can be converted to and from Cartesian coordinates using specific equations. 1/|x| in spherical coordinates is significant as it represents the inverse of the distance from the origin to a point, and can be applied to real-world problems such as calculating forces, electric fields, and navigation using GPS coordinates.
anchovie
Given the term 1/|x|, and assuming in the context of the problem that a spherical coordinate basis is preferred, how can I write 1/|x| so that I can perform operations on it (gradient, etc), i.e in terms of it's unit vectors? Sorry about the vagueness of the question, but I think that's the source of my confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
The norm of a vector in spherical coordinates is simply r. So 1/|x|=1/r. Gradient e.g. is (-1/r^2)*ur, where ur is the unit vector in the r direction. Is that too easy?

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to describe points in three-dimensional space using two angles and a distance from a fixed point, known as the origin. The angles, typically denoted as theta and phi, represent the direction of a point from the origin, while the distance, denoted as r, represents the distance from the origin to the point.

2. Why is understanding and operating on 1/|x| in spherical coordinates important?

Understanding and operating on 1/|x| in spherical coordinates is important because it allows us to solve problems involving inverse-square laws, such as the force of gravity or electric fields. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of how these laws behave in three-dimensional space.

3. How do you convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (r, theta, phi) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:
x = r * sin(theta) * cos(phi)
y = r * sin(theta) * sin(phi)
z = r * cos(theta)

To convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, you can use the following equations:
r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
theta = arccos(z/r)
phi = arctan(y/x)

4. Can you explain the significance of 1/|x| in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, 1/|x| can be thought of as the inverse of the distance from the origin to a point. This is significant because it allows us to solve problems involving inverse-square laws, as mentioned before. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of these laws in three-dimensional space.

5. How can I use 1/|x| in spherical coordinates to solve real-world problems?

1/|x| in spherical coordinates can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, such as calculating the force of gravity between two objects, determining the electric field strength at a given point, or even navigating in three-dimensional space using GPS coordinates. By understanding and operating on 1/|x| in spherical coordinates, you can gain a better understanding of these problems and find more accurate solutions.