Why is displacement used in the formula for velocity instead of distance?

• Thread starter Taterpeel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's movement. In the formula for average velocity, displacement is used because it considers the change in position from the starting point to the ending point, taking into account direction. This is important because even if an object travels back and forth between two points multiple times, the displacement will remain the same, while the distance traveled will increase.
Taterpeel
Hello everyone. I want to learn Physics, so I've been trying to teach myself. I still don't know much, and am just now getting to the formula for Velocity. The internet tutorial I am using says it is this..

Average Velocity = Displacement / Elapsed Time

And I've been plugging in the numbers, and it's not hard or anything. I was just wondering.. Why would displacement be in the numerator? Shouldn't it be distance? If I travel somewhere and then travel back to my destination 30 times in an hour, won't my velocity be different than if I do it 5 times? But I will end up with the same Displacement, so why do I use displacement here, and not distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is a vector quantity. It includes direction. So if you travel around and eventually end up where you started, your average velocity was zero.

Ie, if you travel one direction for an hour at 60 mph and travel back to where you started also at 60 mph, that's 60*1+(-60)*1=0 displacement. Average velocity is (60+(-60))/2=0 But speed is a scalar quantity, so your average speed is (60+60)/2=60.

Displacement is used in the formula for velocity because it represents the change in position of an object. Distance, on the other hand, is the total length of the path traveled by the object. In the context of velocity, it is important to consider the direction of motion and the change in position, rather than just the total distance traveled.

For example, imagine you are driving a car in a circular track. If you complete one lap around the track and return to your starting point, your total distance traveled would be the circumference of the track. However, your displacement would be zero, as your starting and ending positions are the same. This means that your velocity would also be zero, even though you have traveled a significant distance.

In contrast, if you were to travel from point A to point B and then back to point A, your displacement would be the distance between those two points, regardless of how many times you traveled back and forth. This allows for a more accurate measurement of the object's motion and velocity.

Additionally, using displacement in the formula for velocity allows us to consider the direction of motion. If an object travels from point A to point B and then back to point A, but in the opposite direction, its displacement would be the same, but its velocity would be negative, indicating a change in direction.

In summary, displacement is used in the formula for velocity because it takes into account the direction of motion and the change in position, providing a more accurate measurement of an object's velocity.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably in everyday language, they have different definitions in physics. Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the motion.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

4. What are the units of velocity?

The SI unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph) are also commonly used to measure velocity.

5. How does velocity relate to acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is the derivative of velocity with respect to time. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's speed or direction changes.