Can Lightning Create a Sonic Boom?

• Thread starter Nymn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between vibrations and sound when two metal objects collide. It is clarified that the air itself can vibrate and create sound, even if the objects do not vibrate. The example of lightning and thunder is also mentioned, with thunder being the result of the superheated air caused by a lightning bolt.
Nymn
If two metal objects hit, do the objects have to vibrate to make a sound? Or can the air itself vibrate with the sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there was no air, could you hear the metal objects when they hit?

If the objects did not vibrate, what would cause the air to vibrate?

I don't know. I thought sound was the result of potential energy being released as kinetic energy (I don't know much about this, bear with my ignorance :| ). So one of the metal objects would have to vibrate for there to be sound?

The sound is a wave traveling in the air. When the objects hit they beame sourses of these waves. If there is a medium for these waves to travel (i.e. the air) they will reach at your ears and you will hear the sound.

HallsofIvy said:
If the objects did not vibrate, what would cause the air to vibrate?
The collision itself will push air, creating a sound like thunder or clapping hands. The objects themselves need not vibrate.

Oh, okay. That's what I was wondering. Someone told me that one of the objects would have to vibrate for there to be sound, but I figured the air alone would do it. A thought, is this how things like lightning make sound?

In a way. Thunder (the sound of lightning) is basically the aftermath of an explosion. A lightning bolt is in the millions of degrees, which superheats the surrounding air much as a high explosive such as C-4 would. That overpressure radiates in all directions from the path of the bolt, so the inverse square law applies to the intensity where it's heard.

1. What is vibration?

Vibration is a mechanical oscillation or movement that occurs around a fixed point or equilibrium. It can be a regular or irregular motion and can occur in both solid and fluid materials.

2. What causes vibration?

Vibration can be caused by various factors such as external forces, mechanical imbalances, and natural frequencies of an object. It can also be triggered by internal sources such as friction, electrical or magnetic fields, and sound waves.

3. How is vibration measured?

Vibration is typically measured using a device called a vibrometer or an accelerometer. These devices measure the amplitude, frequency, and intensity of the vibration and provide data in the form of graphs or numerical values.

4. What are the effects of vibration?

Vibration can have both positive and negative effects. In some cases, it can be useful for tasks such as transportation, communication, and energy production. However, excessive or prolonged vibration can cause damage to structures, machinery, and human health.

5. How can vibration be controlled?

Vibration can be controlled by various methods such as isolation, damping, and balancing. Isolation involves using materials or structures that can absorb or reduce the vibration, while damping involves adding materials to reduce the energy of the vibration. Balancing involves adjusting the mass distribution of an object to minimize vibration.