1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about viruses

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    Question about viruses ....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is true or false: All virus particles produced from infected cells are infectious.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I find this to be very confusing. On the one hand, some virions are non-infective if they become damaged or are missing part of the genome in the infected cell. I know that a virus particle is non-infective if it cannot replicate, but am not sure if 'produced' means replicated.

Is the question saying this: A cell is injected with a virus. Are all virus particles that replicate infectious?

or is it saying. A cell is injected with a virus. Are all the virus particles from this injection in the cell infectious.

what are your thoughts on the answer
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2
    Re: Question about viruses ....

This is a poorly worded question. I would recommend emailing your instructor to ask for clarification. My best guess is that there is some line of text in the book that is the answer to this and that the person who wrote the question is just trying to see if you read that section but didn't bother to think about what the question would mean generally.

That said, I would lean towards your first idea...that it is asking if all virions produced by an infected cell would be infectious or not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?