1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about voltage sign

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I know that the work done by an electrostatic force is given by :

W = Fdcosθ (scalar product)
    W = qE d cosθ

and I know that the electric potential is V = -W/q ,
    where the work here is the work done by the electrostatic force.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have found that the work done by the electrostatic force is positive ,whether it is attraction or repulsion ( of course when the displacement is with the direction of the force)
    (to see that apply the work equation to a positive charge +q and negative charge -q)

with that result ( when electrostatic force acts alone , the work done is +ve whether attraction or repulsion) ,

we (or I ) see that V = -W/q is negative when q is positive and positive when q is negative

why is that ?
    and , how to interpret that (V is -ve for +ve charge , V is +ve for -ve charge) ?
    I am looking for a conceptual answer , I do not need so much mathematical explanation.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yes, if a charged particle moves in the direction of the electrostatic force on it, then the work done by the electrostatic force on the charged particle is positive.

I'm not sure about V=-W/q ... I use V=W/q ... maybe your teacher was explaining specifically about an electron, which has negative charge, and using q to mean the absolute value of the electron's charge? Or maybe he was using W to mean work done by the system on the electromagnetic field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook